This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diagnostic of Knocking by Wavelet Transform Method Utilizing Real Signal as Mother Wavelet
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is well known that the wavelet transform is a useful time-frequency analysis method for an unsteady signal and major attention has been focused on the selection of the mother wavelet (MW) because the MW plays an important role in the wavelet transform. In this study, we analyze the pressure signal in a spark-ignition engine and the vibration of the engine block measured by a knock sensor under the knocking conditions when knocking is caused. We then propose a new method of the knocking detection that utilizes the knocking signal measured with a knock sensor as a MW. We call this method the Instantaneous Correlation Method (ICM). The degree of similarity between the MW and the vibration of the engine block was judged and only the knocking signal from the vibration of the engine block was extracted. The results obtained here show that the method proposed in this study is useful for knocking detection even if the engine speed is very high of 6000rpm.
CitationZhang, Z. and Tomita, E., "Diagnostic of Knocking by Wavelet Transform Method Utilizing Real Signal as Mother Wavelet," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3546, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3546.
- Heywood J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” Mc-Graw Hill 1988
- Burgdorf K. Denbratt I. “Comparison of Cylinder Pressure Based Knocking Detection Method” SAE Paper No. 972932 1997
- Lee J. H. Hwang S. H. Lim J. S. Jeon D. C. Cho Y. S. “A New Knocking-Detection Method using Cylinder Pressure, Block Vibration and Sound Pressure Signal from a SI Engine” SAE Paper No. 981436 1998
- Cohen L. “Time-Frequency Analysis” Prentice-Hill PTR 1995
- Samimy B. Rizzoni G. Leisenring K. C. “Improved Knocking Detection by Advanced Signal Processing” SAE Paper No. 950845 1995
- Samimy B. Rizzoni G. “Engine Knocking Analysis using Time-Frequency Analysis” SAE Paper No. 960618 1996
- Chui C. K. “An Introduction to Wavelets” Academic Press 59 1992
- Coifman R. R. Meyer Y. Wickerhauser “Wavelet Analysis and Signal processing” Ruski, M. B. Et al. Wavelet and Their Applications 153 178 1992 Jones and Bartlett Boston
- Zhang Z. Kawabata H. “Unsteady Signal Analysis by Using Wavelet Transform” Proceedings of the 1997 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Processing Systems 1237 1241 1997
- Yamada M. Ohkitani K. “An Identification of Energy Cascade in Turbulence by Orthonormal Wavelet Analysis” Progress of Theoretical Physics 86 4 799 815 October 1991
- Zhang Z. Tomita E. “A New Diagnostic Method of Knocking in a Spark-Ignition Engine Using the Wavelet Transform” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1801
- Zhang Z. Kawabata H. Liu Z. Q. “EEG Analysis using the Fast wavelet Transform” Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 2959 2964 Oct. 2000
- Holschneider M. “Wavelets, An Analysis Tool” Oxford 142 1995