This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Fuel Ignition Quality as Determined in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT™) - Part IV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
This paper reports on the fourth part of a continued study on further research and development with the automated Ignition Quality Tester (IQT™). Research over the past six years (reported in SAE papers #961182, 971636 and 1999-01-3591) has demonstrated the capabilities of this automated apparatus to measure the ignition quality and accurately determine a derived cetane number (DCN) for a wide range of middle distillate and non-conventional diesel fuels. The present paper reports on a number of separate investigations supporting these continued studies. These investigations include: (1) the development/validation of critical calibration, operation and testing procedures, (2) the development of component/parameter specifications, operating limits, etc., and (3) the assessment of the performance of the IQT™ for a wide variety of diesel fuels, when operating in accordance with the Institute of Petroleum (IP) test method (in the 2001 year book as a draft test method) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) draft test method. Performance capabilities were also evaluated in terms of cetane improver additive and blending component response.
This paper also presents initial insights into the precision capability of the IQT™ and associated test methods, based on the results of two preliminary round robin studies. On-going co-operative efforts, aimed at furthering the standard development processes in both Europe and North America, are also discussed.
- Luc N. Allard - Advanced Engine Technology Ltd.
- Gary D. Webster - Advanced Engine Technology Ltd.
- Thomas W. Ryan - Southwest Research Institute
- Andrew C. Matheaus - Southwest Research Institute
- Gary Baker - Natural Resources Canada
- Andrew Beregszaszy - Natural Resources Canada
- Harry Read - Fuels Technology Group, BP Oil plc
- Kate Mortimer - Fuels Technology Group, BP Oil plc
- Garry Jones - Fuels Technology Group, BP Oil plc
CitationAllard, L., Webster, G., Ryan, T., Matheaus, A. et al., "Diesel Fuel Ignition Quality as Determined in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT™) - Part IV," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3527, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3527.
- Allard, L.N., Webster, G.D., Hole, N.J., Ryan T.W.III,, Ott, D., Fairbridge, C.W., “Diesel Fuel Ignition Quality as Determined in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT™)”, SAE Paper No. 961182, 1996.
- Allard, L.N., Hole, N.J., Webster, G.D., Ryan T.W. III,, Ott, D., Beregszaszy, A., Fairbridge, C.W.,Cooley, J., Mitchell, K., Richardson, E.K., Elliot, N.G., Rickeard, D.J., “Diesel Fuel Ignition Quality as Determined in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT™) - Part II”, SAE Paper No. 971636, 1997.
- Allard, L.N., Webster, G.D., Ryan T.W. III,, Baker, G., Beregszaszy, A., Ecker, A., Rath, J., “Analysis of the Ignition Behaviour of the ASTM D-613 Primary Reference Fuels and Full Boiling Range Diesel Fuels in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT™) - Part III”, SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3591, 1999.
- Ryan T.W. III,, Stapper, B., “Diesel Fuel Ignition Quality as Determined in a Constant Volume Combustion Bomb”, SAE Paper No. 870586, 1987.
- Ryan T.W.III,, Callahan, T.J., “Engine and Constant Volume Bomb Studies of Diesel Ignition and Combustion”, SAE Paper No. 881626, 1988.
- Ryan T.W. III,, “Development of a Portable Fuel Cetane Quality Monitor”, Belvoir Fuels and Lubricants Research Facility Report No. 277, May 1992.
- Institute of Petroleum, Standard Methods for Analysis and Testing of Petroleum and Related Products and British Standard 2001, Institute of Petroleum, London.
- Data Presented by Fuels Technology Group, BP Oil plc at the ASTM Meeting in Nashville, Tennessee, December 6, 2001.