This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Liquid Fuel on the Cylinder Liner on Engine-Out Hydrocarbon Emissions in SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
The liquid fuel film on the cylinder liner is believed to be a major source of engine-out hydrocarbon emissions in SI engines, especially during cold start and warm-up period. Quantifying the liquid fuel film on the cylinder liner is essential to understand the engine-out hydrocarbon emissions formation in SI engines. In this research, two-dimensional visualization was carried out to quantify liquid fuel film on the quartz cylinder liner in an SI engine test rig. In addition, comparing visualization results with the trend of hydrocarbon emissions in this engine, the effect of cylinder wall-wetting during a simulated cold start and warmed-up condition was investigated with the engine experiment.
The visualization was based on laser-induced fluorescence and total reflection. Using a quartz liner and a special lens, only the liquid fuel on the liner was visualized. The calibration technique was developed to quantify the fluorescence signal with the thickness gage and the calibration device. The fluorescent intensity increases linearly with increase in the fuel film thickness on the quartz liner. Using this technique, the distribution of the fuel film thickness on the cylinder liner was measured quantitatively for different valve lifts and injected fuel mass in the test rig. In order to compare visualization results with the effect of liquid fuel on the cylinder liner on the hydrocarbon emissions, the engine experiment was conducted with respect to injection angle and injection timing.
CitationCho, H., Kim, M., and Min, K., "The Effect of Liquid Fuel on the Cylinder Liner on Engine-Out Hydrocarbon Emissions in SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3489, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3489.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
- Taketa K. Yaegashi T. Sekiguchi K. Saito K. Imatake N. “Mixture Preparation and HC Emissions of a 4-Valve Engine with Port Fuel Injection During Cold Starting and Warm-up” SAE paper 950074 1995
- Heywood J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Cheng W. Harmrin D. Heywood J. Hochgreb S. Min K. D. Norris M. “An Overview of Hydrocarbon Emissions Mechanisms in Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE transactions 102 1207 1220 1993
- Shin Y. Cheng W. Heywood J. “Liquid Gasoline Behavior in the Engine Cylinder of a SI Engine” SAE paper 941872 1994
- Satio K. Sekiguchi K. Imatake N. Takeda K. Yaegashi T. “A New Method to Analyze Fuel Behavior in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE paper 950044 1995
- Nagaoka M. Oksawa K. Crary B. Yamada T. Sugiura S. Imatake N. “Numerical Analysis of Fuel Behavior in a Port-Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE paper 970878 1997
- Johnen T. Haug M. “Spray Formation Observation and Fuel Film Development Measurements in the Intake of a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE paper 950511 1995
- Hentschel N. Grote A. Langer O. “Measurement of Wall Film Thickness in the Intake Manifold of a Standard Production SI Engine by a Spectroscopic Technique” SAE paper 972832 1997
- Dawson M. Hochgreb S. “Liquid Fuel Visualization Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence During Cold Start” SAE paper 982466 1998
- Meyer R. Yilmaz E. Heywood J. “Liquid Fuel Flow in the Vicinity of the Intake Valve of a Port-Injected SI Engine” SAE paper 982471 1998
- Senda J. Ohnishi M. Takahashi T. Fujimoto H. Utsunomiya A. Wakatabe M. “Measurement and Modeling on Wall Wetted Fuel Film Profile and Mixture Preparation in Intake Port of SI Engine” SAE paper 1999-01-0798 1999
- Kull E. Wiltafsky G. Stolz W. Min K. D. Holder E. “Two-Dimensional Visualization of Liquid Layers on Transparent Walls” OPTICS LETTERS 22 9 1997
- Almkvist G. Denbratt I. Josefsson G. Magnusson I. “Measurement of Fuel Film Thickness in the Inlet Port of an SI Engine by Laser Induced Fluorescence” SAE paper 952483 1995
- Stanglmaier R. H. Li J. Matthews R. D. “The Effect of In-Cylinder Wall Wetting Location on the HC Emissions from SI Engines” SAE paper 1999-01-0502 1999
- Yang J. Kaiser E. W. Siegl W. O. Anderson R. W. “Effects of Ports-Injection Timing and Fuel Droplets Size on Total and Speciated Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions” SAE paper 930711 1993