This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MDB – A Distributed Database System to Support Cooperative Product Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today, co-operative distributed teams characterize typical product development environments in industry. But such processes depend to a high degree on the availability of high performing information systems, that enable and support co-operation in distributed teams. In general, the architecture of such systems has to reflect the characteristics of the co-operative business processes to be supported. Although the necessary technologies, like database systems and computer networks are commercially available, the development and entrepreneurial use of distributed systems in engineering is still object of many research projects.
The MDB1 developed at Fraunhofer IAO is a prototype of a distributed information system. The system specifically manages material related content. It is currently used as global reference source for material knowledge in a global operating company producing gas turbines. The MDB uses a client/server architecture, but other than usual client/server solutions with a central server, the MDB is based on a distributed database system. Using a DDBMS2 offers some advantages over traditional centralized client/server solutions or intranet systems.
This article describes some results and experiences made in the development of distributed information systems. Although the specific project referred to deals specifically with a material information system, the results are in general transferable to other areas of distributed information management in product development.
|Aerospace Standard||Reviews and Configuration Audits|
|Technical Paper||Model-Based Software Development: Functional Safety Compliance via Built-In Tool Intelligence|
|Journal Article||A Model-Based Configuration Approach for Automotive Real-Time Operating Systems|
CitationFischer, T., "MDB – A Distributed Database System to Support Cooperative Product Development," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3434, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3434.
- Elmasri, R.; Navathe, S.B.: Fundamentals of database systems. Benjamin/Cummings, Redwood City, Calif, 3rd rel. 1995.
- Lockemann, P.C.; Blaser, A. (Editors): Datenbank-Hand-buch. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 1987.
- Balzert, H.: Lehrbuch der Software Technik: Software-Entwicklung. Spektrum, Heidelberg Berlin Oxford, 1996.
- Chen, P.P.: The Entity Relationship Model: Toward a unified view of data. ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 1, 1976.
- Kemper, A.; Kossmann, D.: Adaptable Pointer Swizzling Strategies in Object Bases. In: Golshani F., Tjoa A.M., Publishers, IEEE Conference on Data Engineering, IEEE Society Press, 1993.
- Leverenz, L.; Mateosian, R.; Bobrowski, S.: Oracle 8 Server Concepts. Oracle Corp, Redwood City, California, 1997.
- Bullinger, Hans-Jörg; Fischer, Thomas; Schumacher, Oliver: Collaborative Material Database System. In: Proceedings of HCI International ‘99 (8th Intl. Conference on Human-Computer Interaction), Munich, Germany, August 22–26, 1999; Vol. 2. London: Erlbaum Publishers, 1999, S. 609–613.
- Thomas Fischer, Dietmar Fischer: Distributed Information Management for Product Development Processes. In: Proceedings of 32nd International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation (ISATA), Vienna, 1999.