This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanics and Stress Analysis of Piston Ring In Multibody Single Cylinder Internal Combustion Engine - Fe Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of the simulation of a piston ring in a multibody single cylinder internal combustion engine using explicit Finite Element analysis. The Finite Element model comprises of an assembly of piston, top compression ring, liner, connecting rod and crankshaft. The ring geometry, its coating and coating methods, its mechanical and its thermal properties are factors which influence engine performance. Deformation in the ring, the stresses developed therein and ring-liner clearance have been determined. This approach to engine design reduces the conceptual design-to-development cycle time and reduces the need of extensive engine testing for evaluating ring performance. The information obtained from the analysis serves as input for ring design and for development of coating techniques.
CitationKurbet, S. and Kumar, R., "Mechanics and Stress Analysis of Piston Ring In Multibody Single Cylinder Internal Combustion Engine - Fe Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3371, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3371.
- Ruddy, B. L. Dowson, D. Economou, P.N. Baker, A.J.S. 1979 “Piston Ring Lubrication-Part III,The Influence of Ring Dynamics and Ring Twist,” Energy Conservation Through Fluid Film Lubrication Technology:Frontiers in Research and Design,ASME Winter Meeting ASME NY 191 215
- Ruddy, B. L Parsons, B. Dowson, D. Economou, P.N. 1979 “The Influence of Thermal Distortion and Wear of Piston Ring Groove Upon the Lubrication of Piston Rings in Diesel Engines,” Proceedings of the 6 th Leeds Lyon Symposium on Tribology ASME NY
- Namazian, M. Heywood, J.B. 1982 “Flow in the Piston-Cylinder- Ring Crevices of a Spark-Ignition Engine:Effect on Hydrocarbon Emmisions,Efficiency and Power,” SAE 820088
- Keribar, R. Dursunkaya, Z. Flemming, M.F. 1991 “An integrated Model of Ring Pack Performance.” ASME JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING FOR GAS TURBINES AND POWER 113 382 389
- Lalor. N. Grover E. C. Preide. T 1980 “Engine Noise due to Mechanical Impacts at Pistons and Bearings SAE paper 800402
- Boysal A. Rahnejat H. 1997 “Torsional vibration analysis of a multi-body single cylinder internal combustion engine model” Appl.Math.Modelling 21 481 493
- Yoshida Hideki Kusama Kazunori Sagawa Junichi 1990 “Effects of Surface Treatments on Piston Ring Friction Force and Wear” SAE paper 900589 1236 1244
- Tian T. Noordzij L. B. Wong V. W. Heywood J. B. 1998 “Modeling Piston-Ring Dynamics, Blowby, and Ring_twist Effects” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power ASME 1998 120 843 853
- I-DEAS Master Series Structural Dynamic Research Corporation 2000 Eastman Milford Dr. OH 45150
- ABAQUS/Explicit Version 5.8-1 Hibbitt, Karrisson& Sorensen,Inc. Pawtucket, RI 02860-4847 U.S.A
- Furuhama Shoichi Hiruma Masaru Tsuzita Makoto 1979 “Piston Ring Motion and Its Influence on Engine Tribology” SAE 790860 2929 2941
- Murray Edward J. 1979 “Piston Rings for Passenger Car Engines” SAE 790698 2420 2435