This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a New Bainitic Steel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A high carbon, high silicon and high manganese steel containing about 1% carbon, 3.0% silicon and 2.0% manganese has been developed. This steel has been synthesized using the concepts from Austempered Ductile Cast Iron (ADI) technology. The influence of austempering process on the microstructure and the room temperature mechanical properties of this steel was investigated. The influence of microstructure on the plain strain fracture toughness of this new steel was also examined. Four batches of compact tension and cylindrical tensile samples were prepared from this steel as per ASTM standards E-399 and E-8 respectively. Two batches of specimens were processed by traditional quenching and tempering process while other two batches were austempered. The microstructures were characterized by X-ray diffraction and optical metallography.
The test results indicate that the austempering process has resulted in a significant improvement in mechanical properties as well as the fracture toughness of the material.
CitationPutatunda, S., "Development of a New Bainitic Steel," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3361, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3361.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V110-5 ; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-5 ; Published: 2002-09-15
- Dodd J., “High Strength, High Ductility Ductile Irons”, Modern Casting, Vol. 68, No. 5, pp. 60-66 (1978)
- Gundalach R.B. and Janowak J.F., “Development of a Ductile Iron for Commercial Austempering”, AFS Transaction, Vol. 94, pp. 377-388 (1983)
- Harding R.A. and Gilbert G.N.J., “Why the Properties of Ductile Irons should Interest Engineers”, British Foundryman, Vol. 79, pp. 489-496 (1986)
- Schmidt and Schuchert A., “Unlubricated Wear of Austempered Ductile Cast Iron”, Zeitschrift for Metallkunde, Vol. 78, pp. 871-875 (1987)
- JohanssonM., “Austenitic Bainitic Ductile Iron”, AFS Transaction, Vol. 85, pp.117-122 (1977)
- Putatunda S. K. et al, “Influence of Microstructure on High Cycle Fatigue Behavior of Austempered Ductile Cast Iron”, Materials Characterization, Vol. 30, pp. 221-234 (1993)
- Shanmugam P., Rao P.P., Udupa K.R. and Venkataraman N., “Effect of Microstructure on the Fatigue Strength of an Austempered Ductile Iron”, J. of Materials Science, Vol. 29, pp.4933-4940 (1994)
- Bartosiewicz L., Duraiswamy S., Sengupta A. and Putatunda S. K., “Near Threshold Fatigue Crack Growth Behavior of Austempered Ductile Cast Iron”, Morris Fine Symposium, IMS, Detroit, pp. 135-138 (1991)
- Bartosiewicz L., Krause A.R., Sengupta A. and Putatunda S. K., “Relationship between Fatigue Threshold and Fatigue Strength in Austempered Ductile Cast Iron”, International Symposium for Testing and Failure Analysis, ISTFA, ASM Vol. 16, pp. 323-336 (1990)
- Rao P. P. and Putatunda S. K.. “Influence of Microstructure on Fracture Toughness of Austempered Ductile Cast Iron”, Metallurgical and Materials Transaction, Vol. 28A, pp. 1457-1470, July, 1997.
- Wilkinson G. and Grupke C., “Design Consideration and Product Applications of ADI Casting”, 2nd International Conference on Ductile Iron, Ann Arbor, Michigan, pp. 349- 358, (March 1986)
- Panasiewicz J., Grupke C. and Huth J., “Chrysler's Experience with Austempered Ductile Iron”, World Conference on Austempered Ductile Iron, Bloomingdale, IL, pp. 176-194 (March, 1991)
- Okazaki K., Asai H., Tokuyoshi M., Kusonoki H. and Sakahara H., Preceding World Conference on Austempered Ductile Iron, Bloomingdale, IL, March, 1991, pp. 288-299Ductile Iron, Facts and Fiction” Modern Casting, Vol. 36, pp.38-41, (1990)
- Shiokara T., “On the Austempered Ductile Cast Iron, Their Mechanical properties and Some Practical Applications”, 59th Japan Ductile Cast iron, Association conference, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 138-150 (1978)
- Janowak J.F. and Norton P.A., “A Guide to Mechanical Properties Possible by Austempering, 1.5% Ni, 0.3% Mo Iron”, AFS Transaction, Vol. 88, pp. 123-135, (1985)
- Gundlach R.B. and Janowak J.F., “Austempered Ductile Irons Combine Strength with Toughness and Ductility”, Metal Progress, Vol. 12, pp. 231-236 (1985)
- Janowak J.F., Gundalach R.B., Eldis G.T. and Rohrting K., “Technical Advances in Cast Iron Metallurgy”, AFS International Cast Metal Journal, Vol. 6, pp. 28-42 (1982)
- Bartosiewicz L., Krause A.R., Kovacs B.V. and Putatunda S. K., “Fatigue Crack Growth Behavior of Austempered Ductile Cast Iron”, AFS Transaction, Vol. 92, pp. 135-142.
- Putatunda S. K. and Singh I., “Fracture Toughness of Unalloyed Austempered Ductile Cast Iron”, Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 325-332, September 1995
- Putatunda S. K., Singh I. and Bartosiewicz L., “Influence of Chromium on Mechanical Properties of Austempered Ductile Cast Iron”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vo1. 4, No.1, pp. 90-101, Feb. 1995
- Doong J. L. and Chen C., “Fracture Toughness of Bainitic-Nodular Cast iron”, Fatigue Fracture of Engineering Material and Structure, Vol. 12, pp. 155-165 (1989)
- Dorazil E. and Holzman M., “Fracture Behavior of Austempered Ductile Iron”, Proceeding of World Conference on Austempered Ductile Iron, Bloomingdale, IL, March 1991, 32-66.
- Grech M., Bowen P. and Young J.M., “Effect of Austempering Temperature on the Fracture Toughness and Tensile Properties of an ADI alloyed with Copper and Nickel”, Proc. World Conference on Austempering' Ductile Iron Bloomingdale, IL, March, 1991, pp. 338-374
- ASTM E-399-90(1997), Standard Test Method for Plain Strain Fracture Toughness of Metallic Materials. Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol. 03.01.
- ASTM E-8-98: Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol. 03.01, 1998
- Cullity B.D: “Elements of X-ray diffraction”, Addison Wesley, Reading, May 1974.
- Roberts C. S “Effect of carbon on the volume fraction and lattice parameters of retained austenite and martensite”, Transactions of AIME, Journal of metal, pp. 203-205, (1953)
- Rao P.P. and PutatundaS.K. “Dependence of Fracture Toughness of Austempered Ductile Iron on Austenitizing Temperature”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, Vol 29A, December 1998 pp 3005-3016.
- White C.H. and Honey Combe R.W.K., Journal of Iron and Steel Institute, Vol. 200, pp 457-467 1962.
- Adler P.H., Olson G.B. and Owen W.S., Metallurgical Transactions, Vol. 17A, pp 1725-1732, 1986.
- Putatunda S.K and Gadicherla P, Materials Science and Engineering, Vol A 268, pp 31-45, August 1999.