This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Loop Shaping H-infinity Control to Diesel Engine Anti-Oscillation Strategy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The control of fuel delivery to minimize drivetrain oscillations is a major benefit to vehicle refinement and driveability. This paper describes the application of robust H-infinity loop-shaping control to the speed-fuel control loop. A one-degree-of-freedom controller structure (feedback only) is examined and applied to a small passenger car. Using careful implementation, the control algorithm is of low order and efficient requiring only limited microprocessor resources.
The robust controller gives excellent performance when operated synchronously to engine rotation, where the dynamics become speed-dependent. Alternatively it can be operated satisfactorily at a fixed sample rate, asynchronous to engine rotation. The design is found to be eminently suitable for production.
CitationScotson, P., Sun, X., and Balfour, G., "Application of Loop Shaping H-infinity Control to Diesel Engine Anti-Oscillation Strategy," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3316, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3316.
- Hulot O Heath WP Scotson PG “Driveline Modelling for Robust Control Design: Achieving Optimal Speed Performance with Diesel Fuel Injection Systems” IFAC Workshop on Advances in Automotive Control February 26 March 1 1998 Mohican State Park, Loudonville, Ohio. USA
- Balfour G Dupraz P Ramsbottom M Scotson P “Control of driveline oscillations for improved refinement - from concept to production”
- Balfour G Dupraz P Ramsbottom M Scotson P “Diesel Fuel Injection Control For Optimum Driveability” SAE paper 2000-01-0265 , SAE Congress Detroit Mar 2000
- Mo CJ Beaumont AJ Powell NN “Active control of driveability” SAE paper 960046 , SAE Congress Detroit Feb 1996
- Dorey RE Holmes CB “Vehicle driveability - its characterisation and measurement” SAE paper 1999-01-0949 , SAE Congress Detroit March 1999
- List HO Schoeggl P “Objective evaluation of vehicle driveability” SAE paper 980204 , SAE Congress Detroit Feb 1998
- Russell MF Hulot O. “Improvements to diesel passenger car refinement” SAE paper 981033 , SAE Congress Detroit Feb 1998
- Skogestad S Postlethwaite I “Multivariable Feedback Control - Analysis and Design” John Wiley & Sons England July 1996