This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Studies on Epoxy Resin Used in Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study was to investigate the behaviour of brittle epoxy resin when modified by liquid rubber for higher flexibility and toughness. The resin and the liquid rubber used were diglycidyl ether of bisphenol-A (DGEBA) and hydroxyl terminated polybutadiene (HTPB), respectively. A silane coupling agent (SCA) was also utilised to improve the compatibility of HTPB and epoxy matrix. Four groups of specimens were prepared by using different orders of mixing of HTPB with SCA and hardener. Tension, bending and impact tests results indicated that strength and impact toughness values were increased in the specimens containing 1% HTPB and 2% SCA. Specimens containing HTPB rubber had highest flexibility than neat epoxy specimens. SEM studies indicated the formation of rubber domains and deformation lines in the epoxy matrix, which assessed the improvement in flexibility and toughness.
CitationKaynak, C., Ozturk, A., and Tincer, T., "Studies on Epoxy Resin Used in Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3298, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3298.
- Shih, W. C. Ma, C.C. M. Yang J. C. Chen, H. D. Journal of Applied Polymer Sci 73 2739 2747 1999
- Ratna, D. Patri, M. Chakrabotry, B. C. Deb, P.C. Journal of Applied Polymer Sci 65 901 907 1997
- Nigam, V. Setua, D. K. Mathur, G. N. Polymer Engineering and Sci 39 1425 1999
- Tong, J. Bai, R. Pan, C. Goethals, E. J. Journal of Applied Polymer Sci 57 895 901 1995
- Tong, J. Bai, R. Zou, Y. Pan, C. Ichimura, S. Journal of Applied Polymer Sci 52 1373 1381 1994
- Bussi P. Ishida Hatsuo Journal of Applied Polymer Sci 53 441 454 1994