This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Co-Acting of Fuel Supply Cut-Off Technique and Oxidation Catalyst in Order to Emission Reduction from Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Within carried out investigations operation of compression-ignition engines was analysed in respect of toxic substances emission. The tested engines are used among other things as a drive of mining locomotives and city buses, so experiments were aimed at verifying if the engines meet very strict mining emission standards.
In the paper, a method of considerable carbon monoxide emission reduction in the whole operation range of the diesel engine is presented. Proposed conception consists in co-acting of fuel supply cut-off technique and oxidation catalytic converter. Cutting-off fuel supply to selected cylinders of the engine (disconnection of the cylinders) is applied at low as well as mean loads and catalyst works effectively in the range of high loads. The paper contains experimental results of the modified diesel engine in which cylinders disconnection method and oxidation catalyst are commonly applied.
CitationZmudka, Z., Postrzednik, S., and Ciesiolkiewicz, A., "Co-Acting of Fuel Supply Cut-Off Technique and Oxidation Catalyst in Order to Emission Reduction from Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3282, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3282.
- Ciesiolkiewicz, A. Postrzednik, S. Zmudka, Z. “Co-acting of Cylinders Disconnection Method and Oxidation Catalyst in Diesel Engine for Reduction of Toxic Substances Emission” The 26-th International Scientific Conference on Combustion Engines Poland 2000
- Garrett, T. K. “Automotive Fuels and Fuel Systems” 1 “Gasoline” Pentech Press London 1991
- Postrzednik, S. Zmudka, Z. “Emission Factors of Toxic Substances in Various Work Points of Internal Combustion Engines” The Second International Conference on Combustion Technologies for a Clean Environment I 57 62 Lisbon 1993
- Searles, R. “Welcome to emission control” Engine Technology International 4 1 34 35 1998
- Zmudka, Z. Postrzednik, S. Ciesiolkiewicz, A. “Characteristics and Diminishing of Gaseous Emission from Diesel Engine” International Journal of Applied Thermodynamics 3 1 43 48 2000
- Zmudka, Z. Postrzednik, S. Ciesiolkiewicz, A. Stopa, P. “Reduction of Harmful Impact of Combustion Engines on Environment by Application of Catalytic Converters” Works & Studies of the Institute of Environmental Engineering of the Polish Academy of Sciences 53 265 276 2000