This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design for Environment (DfE) - Important Tool Towards An Environmental Efficient Product Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Due to the fact that the requirements on the business environment of a company becomes more and more complex and dynamic, especially in the automotive industry driven by new regulations like the European car take back regulation (EU directive on end-of-life (EoL) vehicles) and product responsibility, effective tools and procedures along the complete product development process from research to design must be installed.
Design for Recycling (DfR) and Design for Environment (DfE) tools can help to reduce the effort for environmental evaluation because of their direct integration in the designers workflow. As DFE is not standardized, it should be based on the reliable information, for example LCA data.
A connection between LCA and DfE offers the possibility to integrate environmental evaluation with tolerable effort directly in the design process while keeping the transparency and reliability of LCA and fulfilling the legislative requirements for the end of life phase.
CitationSchoech, H., Florin, H., and Betz, M., "Design for Environment (DfE) - Important Tool Towards An Environmental Efficient Product Development," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3247, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3247.
- DIN EN ISO 14040: Environmental management - Life cycle assessment - Principles and Framework. 1997.
- DIN EN ISO 14041: Environmental management - Life cycle assessment - Goal and scope definition and inventory analysis. 1998
- DIN/CD 14042: Environmental management - Life cycle assessment - Life cycle Impact Assessment. 1999
- ISO/DIS 14043: Environmental management - Life cycle assessment - Life cycle interpretation. 1998
- ISO/WD/TR 14025: Environmental labels - Type III environmental declarations - Guiding principles and procedures
- Schweimer, GeorgW. / Schuckert, Manfred: Life Cycle Inventory of a Golf, 1996.
- Gediga, J.; Schuckert, M.; Florin, H.; Saur, K.: Life Cycle Assessment as a tool in the design process of parts, products and systems. Presentation at SAE Conference, Detroit, Michigan, USA, Feb. 1998.
- Verordnung über die Entsorgung von Altautos und die Anpassung der straßenverkehrsrechtlicher Vorschriften, 4. Juli 1997 (BGBl. 1S. 1666) (German directive for End of Life Treatment of cars.)
- Directive 2000/53/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 September 2000 on end-of life vehicles. (http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/lif/dat/2000/en_300L0053.html)