This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multidimensional Modeling of the Scavenging and Injection Processes of a Small Two-Stroke Engine Compared to LDV Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The scavenging and injection processes on a 50 cc. crankcase-scavenged compressed air-assisted direct fuel injection 2-stroke engine are analyzed by means of multidimensional CFD modeling. A moving mesh including the intake ports, cylinder and exhaust port has been built, solving the interface at ports. The information at boundaries is obtained from a one-dimensional wave action model. A detailed analysis of the scavenging process is presented.
A motored engine with suitable optical access has been used to measure in-cylinder velocities by Laser Doppler Velocimetry LDV. Due to the small engine size some technical problems had to be solved to carry out the measurements. The comparison between the modeled and measured velocities shows good agreement.
Finally, the validated multidimensional modeling has been used for the optimization of the injection process in terms of fuel short-circuit to the exhaust and also of mixture quality. A study of the fuel injection timing and location shows the key points to optimize injection and mixing process.
CitationGalindo, J., Pastor, J., Serrano, J., Pastor, J. et al., "Multidimensional Modeling of the Scavenging and Injection Processes of a Small Two-Stroke Engine Compared to LDV Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3233, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3233.
- Nuti M. “Emissions from Two-Stroke Engines” R-223 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1998
- Nuti M. Pardini R. Caponi D. «FAST Injection System : PIAGGIO Solution for ULEV 2T SI Engines» SAE Paper 970362 1997
- Duret P. Ecomard A. Audinet M. “A New Two-Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection System for High Efficiency Low Emissions Applications” SAE Paper 880176 1988
- Leighton S.R. Ahern S.R. Southern M.P. Cebis M.J. “The Orbital Combustion Process for Future Small Two-Stroke Engines” A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future? Paris, France 1993
- Heimberg W. “Ficht Pressure Surge Injection System” Proceedings of the Small Engine Technology Conference Paper 931502 Pisa 1993
- Blair G.P. “The Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines” R-161 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1995
- Arias J.R. Moreno E. Navarro E. Varela E. “Using 1-D and 3-D Models for the Simulation of Gas Exchange Processes” SAE Paper 2000-01-0658 2000
- Haworth D.C. Huebler M.S El Tahry S.H. Matthes W. R. “Multi-Dimensional Calculations for a Two-Stroke-Cycle Engine: A Detailed Scavenging Model Validation” SAE Paper 932712 1993
- Amsden A.A. O'Rourke P.J. Butler T.D. Meintjes K. Fansler T.D. “Computations of Computed and Measured Three Dimensional Velocity Fields in a Motored Two-Stroke Engine” Two-Stroke Engine Diagnostics and Design SAE SP901 27 44 SAE Paper 920418 1992
- Raghunatahn B.D. Kenny R.G. “CFD Simulation and validation of The Flow within a Motored Two-Stroke Engine” SAE Paper 970359 1997
- Yu L. Campbell T. Pollock W. “A Simulation Model for Direct-Fuel-Injection of Two-Stroke Engines” SAE Paper 970366 1997
- STARCD Manuals v3.100 -Computational Dynamics Limited 1999
- Payri F. Benajes J. Chust M.D. “Programme pour l'étude Assistée par Ordinateur de Systèmes d'Admission et d'Echappement de Moteurs» Entropie162 17 23 1991
- Torregrosa A. J. Galindo J. Payri R. Climent H. Gaia C. “Modeling the Exhaust System in Two-Stroke Small Engines” Automotive and Transportation Technology Conference Paper 01ATT-368 Barcelona 2001
- Sweeny M.E.G. Swann R.G. Kenny R.G. Blair G.P. “Computational Fluid Dynamics Applied to Two Stroke Engine Scavenging” SAE Paper 851519 1985
- Ahmadi-Befrui B. Brandstatter W Kratochwill H. “Multidimensional Calculation of the Flow Process in a Loop - Scavenged T Two-Stroke Cycle Engine” SAE paper 890841 1989
- Bopp S. Durst F. Tropea C. “In-Cylinder Velocity Measurements with a Mobile Fiber Optic LDA System” SAE Paper 900055 1990