This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Caravan Active Braking System- Effective Stabilisation of Snaking of Combination Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper is a theoretical study of the design, effectiveness and implementation of a differential braking system for caravans and other trailers - Caravan Active Braking System (CABS). The system addresses the common problem of snaking at moderate to high road speeds. The idea developed is to utilise measurements of the relative yaw angle between car and caravan to motivate individual trailer brake actuation -one brake at a time- with magnitude and phasing chosen to damp the snaking motions. Linear and non-linear system models are developed, allowing control design by root locus techniques and evaluation by simulation. Stabilisation of the snaking is demonstrated. Robustness against usage variations is checked. Component needs are similar to those for contemporary traction control and stability enhancement systems.
CitationAlonso Fernández, M. and Sharp, R., "Caravan Active Braking System- Effective Stabilisation of Snaking of Combination Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3188, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3188.
- Alonso Fernández, M. A. Stabilisation of car/caravan snaking by brake application Cranfield University School of Mechanical Engineering 2000
- 1976 Vehicle Dynamics Terminology SAE J670e SAE Inc. Warrendale PA
- 2001 AutoSim manual http://www.trucksim.com
- Bakker, E. Nyborg Pacejka, H. B. 1987 Tire modelling for use in vehicle dynamics studies SAE 870421
- Bevan, B. G. Smith, N. P. Ashley, C. 1983 Some factors influencing the stability of car/caravan combinations Road Vehicle Handling, I. Mech. E. Conf. Publ. 1983-5 MEP London 221 227
- Bundorf, R. T. 1967 Directional control dynamics of automobile-travel trailer combinations SAE paper 670099
- Hales, F. D. 1964 A theoretical analysis of the lateral properties of suspension systems Proc. I. Mech. E. 179 2 73 95
- Hales, F. D. 1965 Lateral stability problems of simply articulated vehicles Recent Progress in the Mechanics of Linear Vibrations, IUTAM Symposium Paris 17 34
- Kane, T. R. Levinson, D. A. 1985 Dynamics theory and applications McGraw Hill New York
- Kimbrough, S. VanMoorhem, W. 1992 A control strategy for stabilising trailers via selective application of brakes ASME DSC-44 Advanced Automotive Technologies 413 428
- Kurtz, E. F. Anderson, R. J. 1976 Handling characteristics of car-trailer systems: A state-of-the-art survey Vehicle System Dynamics 6 4 217 243
- Lugner, P. Plöchl, M. Riepl, A. 1996 Investigation of passenger car-trailer dynamics controlled by additional braking of the trailer Proc. AVEC'96 2 Aachen University of Technology 763 778
- Mousseau, C. W. Sayers, M. W. Fagan, D. J. 1992 Symbolic quasi-static and dynamic analyses of complex automobile models, The Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and on Tracks Sauvage G. Proc. 12 th IAVSD Symposium Swets and Zeitlinger Lisse 446 459
- Pacejka, H. B. Bakker, E. 1993 The Magic Formula tyre model Tyre Models for Vehicle Dynamics Analysis Pacejka H. B. Swets and Zeitlinger Lisse 1 18
- Weir, D. H. Klein, R. H. Zellner, J. W. 1982 Crosswind response and stability of car plus trailer combinations SAE 820137