This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Influence of Injection Rate and Running Conditions on the Heat Release Rate in a D.I. Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of this paper is to identify and quantify the influence of injection parameters and running conditions on the air/fuel mixing and diffusion combustion process in a D.I. Diesel engine. With this work, it is intended to improve the understanding of some of the processes that take place in the combustion chamber of D.I. Diesel engines. An analysis of the relationship between the injection rate and the rate of heat release through the physical variables that directly participate in the injection-combustion process is performed.
To approach the problem, a parameter called “Apparent Combustion Time (ACT)” is defined. A theoretical analysis that allows the identification and quantification of the main physical variables that directly affect the air/fuel mixing process has been performed. This theoretical approach enabled to find out the relationship between the ACT and the injection and in-cylinder conditions in the diffusion combustion phase. This theoretical analysis has been compared with the results obtained from an experimental parametric study.
- José M. Desantes - CMT. Departamento de Máquinas y Motores Térmicos, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
- Jean Arrègle - CMT. Departamento de Máquinas y Motores Térmicos, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
- Carlos Fenollosa - CMT. Departamento de Máquinas y Motores Térmicos, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
- Francisco J. Salvador - CMT. Departamento de Máquinas y Motores Térmicos, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
CitationDesantes, J., Arrègle, J., Fenollosa, C., and Salvador, F., "Analysis of the Influence of Injection Rate and Running Conditions on the Heat Release Rate in a D.I. Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3185, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3185.
- Vibe I. I., “Brennverlauf und Kreisprozeß von Verbrennungsmotoren”, VEB Verlag Technik, Berlin, 1970.
- Barba C. et al., “An Empirical Model for Precalculating the Combustion Rate of the Common Rail Diesel Engine for Passenger Cars”, MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschirft 60, 1999.
- Serrano J. R., “Analysis and modeling of load transients in a supercharged Diesel Engine”,(In Spanish) PhD Thesis, 1999.
- Chmela F. G., “Rate of Heat Release Prediction for Direct Injection Diesel Engines Based on Purely Mixing Controlled Combustion”, SAE paper 1999-01-0186, 1999.
- Schihl P. J. et al., “Simulation of Combustion in Direct-Injection Low Swirl Heavy-Duty Type Diesel Engines”, SAE paper 1999-01-0228, 1999.
- Cook H. A., “Diesel Engine Cycle Analysis of Relationships of Fuel Injection to Fuel Compression-Ignition Characteristics and Best Fuel Utilization”, SAE paper 650449, 1965.
- Shipinsky J. et al., “A Spray Droplet Model for Diesel Combustion”, Symposium on Diesel Engine Combustion, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, vol. 184, Pt. 3J, p. 28-35, 1969-1970.
- Whitehouse N. D. et al., “Simple method for the Calculation of Heat Release Rates in Diesel Engines Based on the Fuel Injection Rate”, SAE paper 710134, 1971.
- Whitehouse N. D. et al., “Prediction of Heat Release in a Quiescent Chamber Diesel Engine Allowing for Fuel/Air Mixing”, SAE paper 740084, 1974.
- Grigg H. C. et al., “The Problem of Predicting Rate of Heat Release in Diesel Engines”, Symposium on Diesel Engine Combustion, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, vol. 184, Pt. 3J, p. 192-202, 1969-1970.
- Khan I. M. et al., “Prediction of Soot and Nitric Oxide Concentrations in Diesel Engine Exhaust”, Air Pollution in Transport Engines, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Paper C142/71, p. 205-217, 1971.
- Bastress E. K. et al., “Models of Combustion and Nitrogen Oxide Formation in DI and IDI Compression Ignition Engine”, SAE paper 719053, 1971.
- Payri F. et al., “Thermodynamic Model for the Experimental Diagnostics of the Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engines”, (In Spanish). Proc. III Congreso Iberoamericano de Ingeniería Mecánica, La Habana, Cuba, 1997.
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.