This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Forming on Automotive Crash Results
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The thickness changes and work hardening arising during the forming process are generally ignored in crash analysis. This paper quantifies the effect of the forming process on crash response of a typical car of stamped steel construction using an analytical study.
Forming results for fourteen panels of a medium-sized car were calculated using a one-step stamping analysis code. These were imported into the crash model, and crash results compared with and without the forming effects. The time taken to generate the forming data by a variety of methods is quantified, and the trade-off between the time taken and accuracy is examined. An efficient method of importing the forming data into the crash model is presented.
CitationDutton, T., Sturt, R., Richardson, P., and Knight, A., "The Effect of Forming on Automotive Crash Results," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3050, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3050.
- Dutton, T. Iregbu, S. Sturt, R. Kellicut, A. Cowell, B. Kavikondala, K. The Effect of Forming on the Crashworthiness of Vehicles with Hydroformed Frame Siderails SAE Paper 1999-01-3208 1999
- Shaw, J. Watanabe, K. Steel Strength and Processing Effects on Impact Deformation for a Crash Energy Management Component SAE Paper 2001-01-1053 2001
- Simunovic, S. Shaw, J. Aramayo, G. Steel Processing Effects on Impact Deformation of UltraLight Steel Auto Body SAE Paper 2001-01-1056 2001
- Zaouk, A. Marzougui, D. Kan, C. Development of a Detailed Finite Element Model, Part I: Model Development The 1 st International Conference for the International Journal of Crashworthiness Detroit, MI 1998
- Milititsky, M. Matlock, D. Speer, J. Cady, C. Mataya, M. Effects of Pre-Strain on Properties of Low-Carbon Sheets Steels Tested over a Wide Range of Strain Rates SAE Paper 2001-01-0082 2001