This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Fuzzy-Analytic-Hierarchical-Process Model for The Metal Decision in The Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Currently, the automobile industry faces increasing pressure to reduce the weight of vehicles in order to realize better fuel economy and reduced polluting emissions. Therefore, the long-term dominance of steel and iron as the main ferrous metals used in vehicles is about to change. Aluminum has become a prime candidate to replace steel. However, the decision to use steel or aluminum is a complex one, requiring a sophisticated decision model.
This paper generalizes and applies de Korvin and Kleyle's (1999) fuzzy-analytic-hierarchical- process (FAHP) model. This generalized FAHP model is a powerful tool to tackle many complex decisions without relying on limiting definitions or unrealistic assumptions. The paper uses a concrete illustration to simplify the intricate methodology of FAHP that should help managers and controllers apply this model.
Citationde Korvin, A., Bayou, M., and Kleyle, R., "A Fuzzy-Analytic-Hierarchical-Process Model for The Metal Decision in The Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3040, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3040.
- 2000 “BMW Z8 is sporty, sexy, and built on aluminum.” Machine Design January 27 72 2 S40
- 2000 “Ford picks Alcan to supply aluminum.” Automotive News January 31 40F
- 2000 “Alcan, Ford ink aluminum supply pact.” Purchasing March 9 40B21
- Bayou, M. Nachtman, J. “Strategic Investment Analysis for Manufacturing Waste Management.” Paper No. 930700 , SAE 1993 Transactions, Journal of Materials and Manufacturing 819 828
- Bellman, R. E. Zadeh, L. A. 1970 “Decision-Making in a Fuzzy Environment.” Management Science 17 141 164
- Bogart, K. P. 1973 “Preference Structures 1: Distances between transitive preference relations.” Journal of Mathematical Sociology 3 49 67
- Buck, R. C. Hull, D. L. 1966 “The logical structure of the Linnaean hierarchy.” Systematic Zoology 15 97 111
- de Korvin, A. Kleyle, R. 1999 “Fuzzy Analytical Hierarchical Processes.” Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems 7 387 400
- Dubois, D. Prade, H. 1979 “Decision making under fuzziness.” Gupta, M. Ragade, R. Yager, R. Advances in Fuzzy Set Theory and Applications Amsterdam: North Holland
- Flinn, R. A. Trojan, P. K. Engineering Materials and Their Applications second Boston: Houghton Mifflin 1981
- Jain, R. 1976 “Decision making in the presence of fuzzy variables.” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 6 698 703
- Johnson, S. C. 1967 “Hierarchical clustering schemes.” Psychometrica 32 241 254
- Kimberley, W. 2000 “Audi's A2: Aluminum expertise in action.” Automotive Manufacturing & Production January 112 1 28 29
- Kleyle, R. de Korvin, A. 1994 “Object identification when imprecise information is available from multiple sources of unequal reliability.” Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems 2 191 199
- Kren, L. 2000 “Corvette hardtop-impressive.” Machine Design January 27 72 2 S90 S92
- Manheim, M. L. 1966 Hierarchical Structure: A Model of Planning and Design Processes Cambridge, MA M.I.T. Press
- Mesarovic, M. D. Macko, D. Takahara, Y. 1969 Theory of Hierarchical Multilevel Systems New York, NY Academic Press
- Nguyen, H. Walker E. 1994 A First Course in Fuzzy Logic 2nd Chapman & Hall / CRC New York
- Patee, H. 1969 “The Problem of Biological Hierarchy.” Waddington C. Towards a Theoretical Biology 3 Edinburgh Edinburgh University Press
- Port, O. 2000 “How aluminum is shaping up for Motown.” Business Week (Industrial/Technology Edition) January 24 3665 32b
- Rosen, R. 1973 “Hierarchical reorganization in automata theoretic models of biological systems.” Patee, H. Hierarchy Theory: The Challenge of Complex Systems New York, NY George Braziller Inc.
- Saaty, T. L. 1978 “Modeling unstructured decision problems: Theory of Analytical hierarchies.” Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 20 127 157
- 1995 1996 Decision Making for Leaders Pittsburgh, PA RWS Publications
- Bennet, J. 1977 “A theory of analytical hierarchies applied to political candidacy.” Behavioral Science 22 237 245
- Rogers, R. Pell, R. 1980 “Portfolio selection through hierarchies.” Journal of Portfolio Management 6
- Smith, B. 2000 “Smelter merger-mania.” Automotive Manufacturing & Production January 112 1 30
- Stundza, T. 2000 “It's still steel's game to lose, Purchasing .” February 10 40B1 40B11
- Waller, R. 1976 “The synthesis of hierarchical structures: Technique and applications.” Decision Sciences 7 659 674
- Weiss, P. A. 1971 Hierarchically Organized Systems in Theory and Practice New York, NY Hafner Publishing Co.
- Weyl, H. 1949 “Chemical valence and the hierarchy of structures.” Philosophy of Mathematics and Natural Science Princeton NJ Princeton University Press
- Wilson, A. G. 1969 “Hierarchical structure in the cosmos.” Whyte, L. Wilson, A. Wilson, D. Hierarchical Structures New York, NY American Elsevier
- Yager, R. R. 1978 “Fuzzy decision making including unequal objectives.” Fuzzy Sets and Systems 1 87 85
- 1981 “A new methodology for ordinal multiobjective decisions based on fuzzy sets.” Decision Sciences 12 589 600
- Zadeh, L. A. 1965 “Fuzzy sets.” Information and Control 8 338 353