This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Verification of Robust Architectures for Electronic Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The advent of the use of digital electronic technology in electronic systems has enabled unprecedented expansion of aircraft system functionality and evolution of aircraft function automation. As a result, systems incorporating such technology are used to implement aircraft functions that can affect the safe operation of the aircraft. Lightning can be a common cause threat to such systems, causing both hard (damage) and soft (digital upset) faults in digital electronics. Traditionally, redundancy has been used to avoid single point in failures (hard or soft faults) that could cause loss of an aircraft function affecting safe flight and landing. Relative to soft faults, “rapid” fault clearing has been implemented and evaluated to achieve system soft fault robustness. Analytic and empiric methods are being developed for design and verification of system fault tolerance robustness.
CitationHess, R. and Belcastro, C., "Design and Verification of Robust Architectures for Electronic Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2935, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2935.
- Hess, Richard Yount, Larry “Fault Recoverable Computer System” May 1994
- Hess, Richard “Options for Aircraft Function Preservation in the Presence of Lightning” Proceedings of the 1999 International Conference on Lightning and Static Electricity June 1999 Toulouse, France
- Malekpour, Mahyar Torres, Wilfredo “Characterization of a Flight Control Computer with Rollback Recovery” 19 th AIAA/IEEE DASC Philadelphia, PA
- Hess, Richard Malekpour, Mahyar “Rapid Soft Fault Recovery” Proceedings of the 2001 International Conference on Lightning and Static Electricity September 2001 Seattle, WA
- Belcastro, Celeste M. “Overview of the Systems and Airframe Failure Emulation Testing & Integration (SAFETI) Laboratory at the NASA Langley Research Center” Proceedings of the 2001 International Conference on Lightning and Static Electricity September 2001 Seattle, WA
- Gonzalez, Oscar R. Gray, W. Steven Tejada, Arturo “Analytical Tools for the Design and Verification of Safety Critical Control Systems” Proceedings of the 2001 International Conference on Lightning and Static Electricity September 2001 Seattle, WA