This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Some Studies on Fractal Geometry of Lightning
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Most electromagnetic models used for analysis of lightning assume a straight path for the return stroke in order to keep the computations simple. However, many observations have revealed that the return stroke follows a tortuous path. This paper investigates applicability of fractal geometry to lightning return stroke so that the jaggedness of the path can be accounted in the model. The approach involves applying an image-processing algorithm to trace the tortuous path and then use box-counting method for obtaining the fractal dimension of the curve. Results indicate fairly good fractal trend for the images of lightning used in the investigation.
CitationMANI, G., "Some Studies on Fractal Geometry of Lightning," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2934, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2934.
- Uman M.A. “Lightning” McGraw Hill New York 1969
- Malan D.J. “Physics of Lightning” English University Press London 1963
- Uman M.A. “The Lightning Discharge” Academic Press SanDiego, Calif 1987
- Salanave L.E. “Lightning and Its Spectrum” Tucson University of Arizona Press 1980
- Bruce C.E.R. Golde R.H. “The Lightning Discharge” J. Inst. Elect. Engr 88 487 520 1941
- Masters M.J. Uman M.A. Lin Y.T. Standler R.B. “Calculations of Lightning Stroke Electric and Magnetic Fields above Ground” J. Geophys. Res 86 12 127 12 132 1981
- Paxton A.H. Gardner R.L. Baker L. “Lightning Electromagnetics” New York Hemisphere 47 61 1990
- Moini R. Rakov V.A. Uman M.A. Kordi B. “An Antenna Theory Model for the Lightning Return Stroke” Proc. 12 th Int. Surich Symp. Electromagnetic Compatibility Surich, Switzerland 149 152 Feb 1997
- Thottappillil R. Rakov V.A. Uman M.A. “Distribution of Charge along the Lightning Channel : Relation to Remote Electrical and Magnetic Fields and to Return Stroke Models” J. Geophys. Res 102 6887 7006 1997
- Rakov V.A. Uman M.A. “Review and Evaluation of Lightning Return Stroke Models including some Aspects of their Application” IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility 40 4 403 426 Nov 1998
- Idone V.P. “Microscale Tortuosity and its Variation as Observed in Triggered Lightning Channels” J. Geophys. Res 100 22943 22956 1995
- Mandelbrot B. “The Fractal Geometry of Nature” W.H.Freeman New York 1983
- Strahle W.C. “Turbulent Combustion Data Analysis using Fractals” AIAA Journal 29 3 409 417 March 1991
- Baroni M. Bartolini F. Cappellini V. “Image Processing for Virtual Restoration of Art Works” IEEE Multimedia 7 2 34 37 April–June 2000
- Ali M. Gennert M.A. Clarkson T.G. “Analysis, Generation and Compression of Pavement Distress Images using Fractals” Application of Fractals and Chaos Springer Verlag 1993