This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lightning Protection Design of a Renewable Energy Hybrid-System Without Power Mains Connection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the year 2000 a direct lightning strike to the hybrid-system without power mains connection VATALI on the Greek island Crete results in the destruction and damage of some mechanical and electrical components. The hybrid-system VATALI was not lightning protected at that time. The hardware damage costs are approx. 60,000 €. The exposed site of the hybrid-system on top of a mountain was and still is the reason for a high risk of lightning strikes. Also in the future further lightning strikes have to be taken into consideration.
In the paper a fundamental lightning protection design concept for renewable energy hybrid-systems without power mains connection and protection measures against direct strikes and overvoltages are shown in detail. The design concept was realized exemplarily for the hybrid-system VATALI. The hardware costs for the protection measures were about 15,000 €. About 50% of the costs are due to protection measures against direct strikes, 50% are due to overvoltage protection. Future extensions, new installations, or modifications have to be included into the lightning protection design concept of the hybrid-system.
CitationKernF, A., Krichel, F., and Mueller, K., "Lightning Protection Design of a Renewable Energy Hybrid-System Without Power Mains Connection," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2932, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2932.
- Scheibe, K. Schimanski, J. Wetter, M. 1997
- Hopf, C. Wiesinger, J. Lightning protection of wind power plants 23rd International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP), Florenz (I) 1996
- Schmid, R. Investigations on GRP-rotor blade samples of wind power plants regarding lightning protection 24th International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP) Birgmingham (GB) 1998
- Hotopp, R. 1996
- Vaßen, F. Vaaßen, W. 1997
- Martzloff, F.-D. Lightning and surge protection of PV installations – two case histories: Vulcano and Kythnos National Technical Information Service Springfield (Virginia, USA) 1989
- Brocke, R. Frentzel, R. Zahlmann, P. Schirmung von Kabeltrassen gegen Blitzeinkopplungen 1996
- Häberlin, H. Minkner, R. A simple method for lightning protection of PV-systems 12th European Photovoltaik Solar Energy Conference Amsterdam (NL) 1994