This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Surges Superimposed on Continuing Currents in Lightning Discharges
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
M components are impulsive processes that occur during continuing currents following return strokes in both natural and rocket-triggered lightning. Similar impulsive processes occur during the initial stage of rocket-triggered lightning and during the initial stage of upward natural lightning initiated from tall objects. The combination of impulsive and steady current components may represent an additional threat to various objects and systems. For example, M components may impart electrodynamic stresses on metallic structural elements already weakened due to thermal effects of the background continuing current. It is possible that the very large positive currents measured by K. Berger and co-workers on instrumented towers were associated with M-component type processes.
|Technical Paper||Influence of the Rod Height and Lightning Polarity on the Protection Zone|
|Technical Paper||Electrical Strength of Ultra-Long Air Gaps|
|Technical Paper||Influence of Lightning and Static Electricity as Applied to Helicopter Design|
CitationRakov, V., "Surges Superimposed on Continuing Currents in Lightning Discharges," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2895, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2895.
- Berger, K. Anderson, R.B. Kroninger, H. 1975 Parameters of lightning flashes Electra 80 223 37
- Berger, K. Vogelsanger, E 1969 New results of lightning observations Planetary Electrodynamics, 1 Coroniti S.C. Hughes J. 489 510 New York Gordon and Breach
- Thottappillil, R. Goldberg, J.D. Rakov, V.A. Uman, M.A. 1995 Properties of M components from currents measured at triggered lightning channel base J. Geophys. Res 100 25 711 25 720
- Rakov, V.A. 1998 Some inferences on the propagation mechanisms of dart leaders and return strokes J. Geophys. Res 103 1879 1887
- Rakov, V.A. Uman, M.A. Rambo, K.J. Fernandez, M.I. Fisher, R.J. Schnetzer, G.H. Thottappillil, R. Eybert-Berard, A. Berlandis, J.P. Lalande, P. Bonamy, A. Laroche, P. Bondiou-Clergerie, A 1998 New insights into lightning processes gained from triggered-lightning experiments in Florida and Alabama J. Geophys. Res 103 14,117 14,130
- Rakov, V.A. Thottappillil, R. Uman, M.A. Barker, P.P. 1995 Mechanism of the lightning M component J. Geophys. Res 100 25,701 25,710
- Reising, S.C. Inan, U.S. Bell, T.F. 1999 ELF sferic energy as a proxy indicator for sprite occurrence Geophys. Res. Lett. 26 987 990
- Schnetzer, G.H. Fisher, R.J. 1992
- Uman, M.A. Rakov, V.A. Rambo, K.J. Vaught, T.W. Fernandez, M.I. Cordier, D.J. Chandler, R.M. Bernstein, R. Golden, C. 1997 Triggered-lightning experiments at Camp Blanding, Florida (1993–1995) Trans. of IEE Japan, Special Issue on Artificial Rocket Triggered Lightning 117-B 4 446 452
- Wang, D. Rakov, V.A. Uman, M.A. Fernandez, M.I. Rambo, K.J. Schnetzer, G.H. Fisher, R.J. 1999 Characterization of the initial stage of negative rocket-triggered lightning J. Geophys. Res 104 4213 4222