This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
VAM-LIFE: Virtual Aircraft ElectroMagnetic Lightning Indirect Effect Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The computational tool VAM-LIFE is developed for the complete analysis of the EM field distribution inside and outside lightning struck aircraft and the evaluation of the indirect effects induced in the onboard wiring system. The VAM-LIFE tool is composed by five computational blocks, which allow to merge: the procedure for the definition of the equivalent digital model of the aircraft; the finite-difference time-domain procedure for the calculation of the EM field distribution; the transmission-line nodal-analysis procedure in frequency-domain for the calculation of the induced effects. The most relevant aspects of VAM-LIFE are described and numerical applications are shown. The tool is approved by the Italian Aeronautic Authority for lightning indirect effect certification of the C-27J aircraft.
|Technical Paper||LIGHTNING AND SURGE PROTECTIVE DEVICES FOR SURVIVABILITY OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS|
|Technical Paper||Flashover Voltage Characteristics of Segmented Diverter Strips|
|Technical Paper||Advanced Electrical Power Distribution Network|
- Valeria Volpi - Alenia Aerospazio – Divisione Aeronautica, Italy
- Maurizio Aprà - Alenia Aerospazio – Divisione Aeronautica, Italy
- Marcello D’Amore - University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy
- Maria Sabrina Sarto - University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy
- Alberto Scarlatti - University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy
CitationVolpi, V., Aprà, M., D’Amore, M., Sarto, M. et al., "VAM-LIFE: Virtual Aircraft ElectroMagnetic Lightning Indirect Effect Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2892, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2892.
- Parmantier J.P., ”Theory and modelling for EMC in extended systems: current capabilities and requirements”, 13th Int. Symposium on EMC, Zurich, Feb. 16–18, 1999.
- Parmantier J.P., Marque J.P., Bertuol S., Thibblin U., Person S., “Modelling and analysis of the electromagnetic environment on aircraft and helicopter. Part 2: Coupling to complex cable networks”, Int. Conference on Lightning and Static Electricity, ICOLSE99, Toulouse, June 22–24, 1999.
- Lalande P., Boudiou-Clergerie A., Laroche P., “Analysis of available in-flight measurements of lightning strikes to aircraft”, Int. Conference on Lightning and Static Electricity, ICOLSE99, Toulouse, June 22–24, 1999.
- D’Amore M., Sarto M.S., ”Numerical modelling of lightning tests on thin advanced composite panels”, 23th Int. Conference on Lightning Protection, ICLP96, Firenze, Sept. 23–27, 1996.
- D’Amore M., Sarto M.S., “Time-domain analysis of lightning interaction to aeronautical structures composite materials”, IEEE Int. Symposium on EMC, Austin, TX, Aug. 18–22, 1997.
- Aprà M., D’Amore M., Sarto M.S., Scarlatti A., Volpi V., “Lightning stroke to a metallic- composite aircraft: certification feasibility by simulation. Part I: Prediction of the electromagnetic field”, EMC Europe 2000 Brugge, 4th Intern. Symposium on EMC, Brugge, Belgium, Sept. 11–15, 2000, Vol. 2, pp. 173–178.
- Aprà M., D’Amore M., Feliziani M., Maradei F., Sarto M.S., Scarlatti A., Volpi V., “Lightning stroke to a metallic- composite aircraft: certification feasibility by simulation. Part II: Prediction of the induced electromagnetic effects”, EMC Europe 2000 Brugge, 4th Intern. Symposium on EMC, Brugge, Belgium, Sept. 11–15, 2000, Vol.2, pp. 179–184.
- Aprà M., D’Amore M., Sarto M.S., Volpi V., “Prediction of indirect lightning effects on a metallic-composite aircraft”, 39th AIAA Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Jan. 8–11, 2000, Reno, Nevada, paper AIAA 2001-0548.
- Yee K. S., “Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell’s equations in isotropic media”, IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. AP-14, May 1966, pp. 302–307.
- Final draft of standard AC/AMJ 20-TBD - WG 330, “Aircraft lightning environment and related test waveforms”, Issue 2, Nov.20, 1998, 18th EEHWG meeting.
- D’Amore M., Sarto M.S., “Time-domain analysis of the lightning induced effects on wire networks inside carbon fiber composite enclosures”, Intern. Conference on Lightning Protection, ICLP 2000, Rhodos, Greece, Sept. 2000.
- Sarto M.S., Scarlatti A., “On the modelling of field-to-line coupling inside a lightning struck aircraft”, Int. Conf. on Lightning and Static Electricity, ICOLSE’01, Seattle (WA), Sept. 11–13, 2001.
- Sarto M.S:, “Innovative absorbing boundary conditions for the efficient FDTD analysis of lightning interaction problems”, to appear on IEEE Trans. on EMC.
- Sarto, M.S. Scarlatti A., “Suppression of late-time instabilities in 3D-FDTD analyses by combining digital filtering techniques and efficient boundary conditions”, CEFC 2000, Milwaukee, June 4–7, 2000. To appear on IEEE Trans. on Magnetics.
- Sarto M.S., Holloway C.L., “Effective boundary conditions for the time-domain analysis of the EMC performances of fiber composites”, IEEE Int. Symposium on EMC, Seattle, WA, Aug. 2–6, 1999.
- Sarto M.S., “A new model for the FDTD analysis of the shielding performances of thin composite structures”, IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, November 1999, Vol. 41, No.4, pp. 298–306.
- D’Amore M., Sarto M.S., “Theoretical and experimental characterization of the EMP-interaction with composite–metallic enclosures”, IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, May 2000, Vol.42, No.2, ‘p. 152–163.
- Rachidi F., “Formulation of the field-to-transmission line coupling equations in terms of magnetic excitation field”, IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., vol. 35, no.3, pp. 404–407, Aug. 1993.
- D’Amore M., Sarto M.S., “Theory of field excited networks”, IEEE Trans. on EMC, Special Issue on “EMC Research in Italy”, Vol.38, No. 2, Aug. 1996.
- Ametani A., “A general formulation of impedance and admittance of cables”, IEEE Trans. on PAS, Vol.99, No.3, May–June, 1980.
- Tsaliovich A., “Cable shielding for EMC”, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1995.
- Cristina S., Feliziani M., “A finite element technique for multiconductor cable parameters calculation”, IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.5, No.4, July 1989, pp 2986–2988.
- “2D parameter extractor”, User Manual, ANSOFT.
- D’Amore M., Sarto M.S., “Experimental sensitivity analysis of the scattering parameters of wire harnesses for frequency-domain modelling”, 14th Int. Zurich Symp. & Tech. Exhibition on EMC, Zurich, Switzerland, Feb. 20–22, 2001.
- Léonard C., ”Couplage d’une perturbation sur un faisceau complexe”, 8th French EMC Conference, 1996, Lille.
- D’Amore M., Scarlatti A., “Reduced-order modeling of field-excited wire harness transmission lines in the frequency domain”, 2001 IEEE EMC Symposium, Montréal, Canada, August 13–17, 2001.