This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Current Parameters of Lightning Discharges Measured at the Peissenberg Telecommunication Tower
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In 1992 new lightning measurements were started at the Peissenberg telecommunication tower. The tower is situated in the south of Germany nearby Munich. All strikes to the tower were upward initiated ground-to-cloud flashes except of one event identified as negative downward initiated cloud-to-ground flash. The majority of the ground-to-cloud flashes were of negative polarity lowering negative charge to ground.
Based on more than 100 negative ground-to-cloud flashes updated statistics of current parameters are given distinguishing between different current components, such as impulse and continuing currents. The statistics include the current peak values, the maximum current derivatives and the full widths on half value of the current derivatives. Further, the meteorological condition and the striking probability are examined.
|Technical Paper||Measuring System of Transient Temperature Distribution on the Brake Disc Rotor|
|Technical Paper||High Reliability Aircraft Generator System|
|Journal Article||A Fire Suppression Analysis for the Altair Project|
CitationHeidler, F., Zischank, W., and Wiesinger, J., "Current Parameters of Lightning Discharges Measured at the Peissenberg Telecommunication Tower," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2879, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2879.
- Geldenhuys, H. Eriksson, A. Bouon, A. “Fifteen years’ data of lightning current measurement on a 60 m mast” 19th International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP) 1988
- Garbagnati, E. Lo Piparo, G.B. “Parameter von Blitzstromen” 103 2 1982
- McEachron, K.B. “Lightning to the Empire State Building” Journal of the Franklin Institute 1939 227 2 149 217
- Janischewskyi, W. Hussein, A.M. Shostak, V. Rusan, I. Li, J.-X. Chang, J.-S. “Statistics of lightning strikes to the Toronto Canadian National Tower (1978–1995)” 1996
- Montandon, E. Beyerler, B. “The lightning measuring equipment on the Swiss PTT telecominication tower at St. Chrischona, Switzerland” International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP) Budapest 1994
- Fuchs, F. Landers, E. Schmid, R. Wiesinger, J. Lightning current and magnetic field parameters caused by lightning strikes to tall structures relating to interference electronic systems 1998 40 4 444 451
- Heidler, F. Wiesinger, J Zischank, W. “Lightning Currents Measured at a Telecommunication Tower from 1992 to 1998” 14th International Zurich Symposium on EMC 2001 325 330
- Berger, K Anderson, R.B. Kröninger, H. Parameters of lightning flashes Electra 41 1975 23 37
- Trapp, N. Erfassung des zeitlichen Verlaufes und der Wirkungsparameter von Blitzströmen in automatisch arbeitenden Blitzmess - Stationen 1985
- Beierl, O. Elektromagnetische Verträglichkeit beim Blitzeinschlag in ein Gebäude 1991
- Zundl, T. Koordinierte Messungen von Blitzströmen und ihrer elektromagnetischen Felder an einem Fernmeldeturm 1996
- Zundl, T. First results of the coordinated lightning current and LEMP measurements at the Peissenberg tower 1994
- Zundl, T. Fuchs, F. Heidler, F. Hopf, Ch. Steinbigler, H. Wiesinger, J. Statistics of current and fields measured at the Peissenberg tower 1996 36 41
- Heidler, F. Zischank, W. Wiesinger, J. Statistics of lightning current parameters and related nearby magnetic fields measured at the Peissenberg tower 2000 78 83
- Anderson, R.B. Eriksson, A.J. Lightning parameters for engineering application Electra 69 1980 65 102
- Uman, M The lightning discharge 1st edition Orlando, USA Academic Press 1987
- Depasse, P. Statistics on artificially triggererd lightning. Journal of Geophysical Research 1994 99 D9 186515 18522
- Rakov, V Lightning discharges triggered using rocket-and-wire techniques Recent Res. Devel. Geophysics 2 1999 141 171