This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Leader Characteristics in Natural and Altitude Triggered Lightning Discharges
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Characteristics of the electric field changes produced by stepped and dart-stepped leaders in natural negative cloud-to-ground (CG) lightning discharges and stepped leaders in altitude triggered lightning discharges have been analyzed by using data from broadband slow antenna system with 0.08 μs time resolution in Guangzhou area, Southeastern China. It has been found that the characteristic parameters of leader pulses in artificially triggered lightning discharges are a little different from that in natural negative lightning discharges, although the discharge processes and statistic features of the pulses are similar in two cases.
CitationXiushu Qie, Q., "Leader Characteristics in Natural and Altitude Triggered Lightning Discharges," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2871, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2871.
- Beasley W., Uman M. A. and Rustan P. L. Jr., Electric fields preceding cloud-to-ground lightning flashes, J. Geophys. Res., 87, 4883–4902, 1982.
- Chen M., Takagi N., Watanabe T., Wang D., Kawasaki Z-I., Ushio T., Nakano M., Nakamura K., Sumi S., Wang C., Liu X., Qie X., Guo C., Leader properties and attachment process in positive triggered lightning flashes, Journal of Atmospheric Electricity, l19, 45–59, 1999.
- Cooray V. and Lundquist S., Characteristic of radiation fields from lightning in Sri Lanka in the tropics, J. Geophys. Res., 90, 6099–6109, 1985.
- Hojo J., Ishii M., Kawamura T., Suzuki F., and Funayama R.,, The fine structure in the field change produced by positive ground strokes, J. Geophys. Res., 90, 6139–6145, 1985.
- Krider E. P., The relative light intensity produced by a lightning stepped leader, J. Geophys. Res., 79, 4542–4544, 1974.
- Krider E. P. and Radda G. J., Radiation field wave forms produced by lightning stepped leaders, J. Geophys. Res., 80, 2653–2657, 1975.
- Krider E. P., Weidman C. D. and Noggle R. C., The electric field produced by lightning stepped leaders, J. Geophys. Res., 82, 951–959, 1977.
- Lalande, P., Bondiou-Clergerie a., Laroche P., Leader properties determined with triggered lightning techniques, J. Geophys. Res., 103, 14,109–14,115, 1998.
- Laroche, P., Idone V. and Eybert-Berard A., and Barret L., Observation of bi-directional leader development in triggered lightning flash, International Conference on Lightning and Static Electricity, Coco Beach, USA, 57-1-57-10, April, 1991.
- Orville R. E. and Idone V. P., Lightning leader characteristics in the Thunderstorm Research International Program (TRIP), J. Geophys. Res., 87, 11177–11192, 1982.
- Rakov V. A., Uman M. A., Rambo K. J., Fernandez M. I., Fisher R. J., Schnetzer G. H., Thottappillil R., Eybert-Berard A., Berlandis J. P., Lalande P., Bonamy A., Laroche P., and Bondiou-Clergerie A., New insights into lightning processes gained from triggered-lightning experiments in Florida and Alabama, J. Geophys. Res.,103, 14117–14130, 1998
- Rakov V. A., Uman M. A. and Thottappillil R., Review of lightning properties from electric field and TV observation, J. Geophys. Res., 99, 10745–10750, 1994
- Thomson E. M., Uman M. A. and Beasley W. H., Speed and current for lightning stepped leaders near ground as determined from electric field records, J. Geophys. Res., 90, 8136–8142, 1985.
- Weidman C. D. and Krider E. P., The radiation field wave forms produced by intracloud lightning discharge process, J. Geophys. Res., 84, 2653–2657, 1979.
- Wang D., Takagi N., Watanabe T., Rakov V. A., and Uman M. A., Observed leader and return-stroke propagation characteristics in the bottom 400 m of a rocket-triggered lightning channel, J. Geophys. Res., 104, 14369–14376, 1999.