This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Telematics for “SmarTruck”
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 12, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The utilization of commercially based technologies has the ability to greatly reduce the time and cost of military vehicle development. Commercially based technologies also enable the transition of a high level of capability into the military vehicle inventory and to the Army's ultimate customer, the soldier. The Army's National Automotive Center (NAC) has created SmarTruck, a light truck platform enhanced for military concept exploration. SmarTruck is outfitted with telematics, safety, and non-lethal weapon systems technology. It is a prime example of the NAC's central focus, which is dual-use commercial technology transfer. At the core of success for SmarTruck is the application of telematics technologies including embedded diagnostics, advanced electronic architectures, tele-maintenance, and wireless communications.
CitationKozera, M., Fuller-Simms, G., and Gorsich, D., "Telematics for “SmarTruck”," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2795, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2795.
- Wend, D. Skalny, P. Gorsich D. J. “Government Industry Partnership for Improving the Military's and Nation's Trucks: The 21 st Century Truck Initiative” November 2000 SAE # 2000-01-3420
- Sloss, D. A. “SmarTruck - A Technology Tool Box for Personnel Safety” September 2001 National Automotive Center Technical Report
- Gorsich, D. J. DiVito, E. “The Army's Vehicle Intelligence Program (AVIP): Bringing Telematics to the 21 st Century Truck (21T)” November 2000 SAE # 2000-01-3425
- Almand, H. “Commercially Based Tactical Truck (COMBATT)” January 2001
- SmarTruck Integrated Concepts & Research Corporation (ICRC) http://www.icrc-hq.com/st.htm
- Non-Lethal Weapons An Assessment of Non-Lethal Weapons Science and Technology http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/ProjectScopeDisplay/NSBX-L-00-05-A?OpenDocument
- USMC Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate http://www.iis.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/jnlwd/JNLWContact.htm
- Legal Issues Concerning Military Use of Non-Lethal Weapons http://www.murdoch.edu.au/elaw/issues/v7n2/squte net72text.html
- Telematics Driver Tech Driver Communication Solutions http://www.truckpc.com
- Oak Ridge National Laboratories http://www.ORNL.gov
- ACUNIA http://www.acunia.com
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) http://www.mit.edu
- National Automotive Center (NAC) National Automotive Center Web Page http://www.tacom.army.mil/tardec/nac/