This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Intake System Design for a Formula SAE Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 20, 2001 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A prototype engine intake design incorporating a required 20-millimeter restrictor is currently being evaluated for the 2001 Formula SAE competition. The engine is a 600 Honda CBR F4 four stroke. This carbureted stock engine was converted to fuel injection, requiring complete intake redesign. The primary difference from the stock intake design is the use of dual plenums, which prevents charging losses due to overlapping intake valve events. The throttle body and venturi design have also been improved. Preliminary test results are presented to validate design calculations and indicate potential for improvements.
|Technical Paper||Design of a Restricted Induction System for a High Speed Four Cylinder Engine|
|Technical Paper||Improvements to Maximize Power in a Restricted 2002 Formula SAE Base Engine|
|Technical Paper||Formula SAE Dual Plenum Induction System Design|
CitationJawad, B., Hoste, J., and Johnson, B., "Intake System Design for a Formula SAE Application," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2553, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2553.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Jawad, Badih A. DeGain, Michael D. Young, Anthony P. Jr. ‘Design of a Four Cylinder, High Speed FSAE Restricted Induction System,’ SAE 2000-01-3090
- 1999 LTU FSAE Team ‘1999 Formula SAE Final Report,’ Lawrence Technological University Southfield, Michigan
- 2000 LTU FSAE Team ‘2000 Formula SAE Final Report,’ Lawrence Technological University Southfield, Michigan
- Blair, Gordon P. ‘Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines,’ 1st Society of Automotive Engineers 1999 SAE Order No. R-186
- Winterbone, D. Pearson, R. ‘Design Techniques for Engine Manifolds: Wave Action Methods for IC Engines,’ Professional Engineering Publishing Limited UK 1999 SAE Order No. R-274
- Heisler, Heinz ‘Vehicle and Engine Technology,’ 2nd Society of Automotive Engineers 1999
- Stone, Richard ‘Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines,’ 2nd 5th Society of Automotive Engineers 1997
- Englemann, H.W. ‘Design of a Tuned Intake Manifold,’ ASME Paper 73-WA/DGP-2 1973
- Jameson, Renee T. Hodgins, Patrick A. ‘Improvement of the Torque Characteristics of a Small, High-Speed Engine Through the Design of Helmholtz-Tuned Manifolding,’ SAE 900680