This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Test Results and Modeling of the Honda Insight using ADVISOR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 20, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) has conducted a series of chassis dynamometer and road tests on the 2000 model-year Honda Insight. This paper will focus on results from the testing, how the results have been applied to NREL's Advanced Vehicle Simulator (ADVISOR), and how test results compare to the model predictions and published data. The chassis dynamometer testing included the FTP-75 emissions certification test procedure, highway fuel economy test, US06 aggressive driving cycle conducted at 0°C, 20°C, and 40°C, and the SC03 test performed at 35°C with the air conditioning on and with the air conditioning off. Data collection included bag and continuously sampled emissions (for the chassis tests), engine and vehicle operating parameters, battery cell temperatures and voltages, motor and auxiliary currents, and cabin temperatures. Test results are being used in three NREL program areas including: correlation and enhancement of the ADVISOR model; understanding battery performance under various conditions and the development of a temperature dependent battery pack model; and to determine the effect of air conditioning on fuel economy and emissions from highly efficient vehicles. Results from the testing have shown good agreement with predicted behavior and published data. Detailed test data have also yielded important insights into the vehicle control strategies and component performance that have been incorporated into ADVISOR.
CitationKelly, K., Zolot, M., Glinsky, G., and Hieronymus, A., "Test Results and Modeling of the Honda Insight using ADVISOR," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2537, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2537.
- Knight, B, “Insight - A Motor Assist Hybrid”, Honda R&D Americas, Presentation to Ultra Clean Vehicle Workshop, November, 30 1999.
- Yamaguchi, J., Insight by Honda, Automotive Engineering International, Society of Automotive Engineers October 1999.
- Zolot, M., Keyser, M., Mihalic, M., Pesaran, A.A., Kelly, K.J., Hieronymus, A. “Thermal Evaluation of the Honda Insight Battery Pack”, IECEC2001-ET-07, Proceedings of the 36th IECEC Conference, August 2001.
- Neil, D, “Honda Insight”, Car and Driver, January 2000.
- U.S. Dept of Energy PNGV Battery Testing Manual, Revision 2, August 1999.