This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrogen Powered Shelby Cobra: Vehicle Conversion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 20, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the details of converting a gasoline powered 427 Shelby Cobra to run on gaseous hydrogen. The purpose of this project was to design a vehicle capable of beating the current land speed record for hydrogen powered vehicles.
The vehicle uses a modified 427 Ford FE engine as the powerplant with a specially designed electronic fuel injection system for metering the hydrogen. The engine was designed to produce near zero emissions (<10 ppm NOx) at approximately 270 HP using a lean burn, “quality controlled”, fueling strategy (no pollution control devices are utilized).
CitationHeffel, J., Johnson, D., and Shelby, C., "Hydrogen Powered Shelby Cobra: Vehicle Conversion," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2530, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2530.
- Norbeck, J.M. Heffel, J.W. Belinski, S.E. Durbin, T. Bowden, J.P. Tabbara, B. Montano, M. 1996 Hydrogen Fuel for Surface Transportation Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Heffel, J.W. Norbeck, J.M. 1996 Evaluation of Supercharged Hydrogen Fueled Ford Ranger Trucks CE-CERT Technical Report 95:AV:043F
- Heffel, J.W. Norbeck, J.M. 1995 Evaluation of UC Riverside's Hydrogen Powered Truck Proc. 6 th Annual National Hydrogen Association Meeting Alexandria, VA March 85 111
- Gabbard, A. 1988 Fast Fords HP Books
- Ricardo, H. The High-Speed Internal Combustion Engine Blackie and Son London 1960