This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Throttleless Natural Gas Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 20, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Development of a natural gas-fueled engine capable of throttleless operation is discussed in this paper. This development was conducted under a program funded by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory to investigate methods to increase the efficiency of natural gas engines. In-cylinder fuel-air charge stratification was pursued as the mechanism for throttleless operation. Various methods of charge stratification were investigated, including direct injection, stratified charge (DISC) and a fuel injected prechamber (FIPC). The FIPC combustion system was found to be a more practical solution to the problem of charge stratification. Performance and emissions results from this engine configuration are presented and comparisons are made between current natural gas engines and the prototype FIPC engine.
CitationKubesh, J., "Development of a Throttleless Natural Gas Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2522, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2522.
- NGV Part Load Efficiency Study Gas Research Institute September 1995
- Podnar D.J. Kubesh, J.T. “Development of the Next Generation Medium-Duty Natural Gas Engine, Final Report,” National Renewable Energy Laboratory February 2000
- Alperstein, M. “Texaco's Stratified Charge Engine - Multifuel, Efficient, Clean, and Practical,” SAE Technical Paper No. 740563 1974
- Bishop, I.N. Simko, A. “A New Concept of Stratified Charge Combustion - the Ford Combustion Process [FCP] SAE Technical Paper No. 680041 1968
- Witzky, J.E Hull, R.W. “The Development of the Pumpless Gas Engine Concept,” SAE Technical Paper No. 700073 1970
- Yagi, S. “NOx Emission and Fuel Economy of the Honda CVCC Engine,” SAE Technical Paper No. 741158 1974
- Meyers, D.P. et al. “Evaluation of Six Natural Gas Combustion Systems for LNG Locomotive Applications SAE Technical Paper No. 972967 1997
- Quader, A.A. “The Axially-Stratified-Charge Engine SAE Technical Paper No. 820131 1982
- Callahan, T.J. Kubesh, J.T. “Contribution of Prechamber Combustion to Engine CO and HC Emissions,” Gas Machinery Conference 1988
- Tatsuta, H. et al. “Mixture Formation and Combustion Performance in a New Direct-Injection SI V-6 Engine,” SAE Technical Paper No. 981435 1998
- Fraidl, G.K. “Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems,” SAE Technical Paper No. 960465 1996
- Kekedjian, A. Krepec, T. “Further Development of Solenoid Operated Gas Injectors with Fast Opening and Closing,” SAE Technical Paper No. 940450 1994
- Gruden, D. et al. “Development of the Porsche SKS Engine,” Stratified Charge Engines , I Mech E Conference Publications 1976-11 November 1976
- Brandstetter, W.R. “Experimental Results from Volkswagen's Prechamber Stratified Charge Engines,” Stratified Charge Engines , I Mech E Conference Publications 1976-11 November 1976
- Ritter, T.E. Wood, C.D “An Unthrottled Gaseous Fuel Conversion of a 2-Stroke Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper No. 750159 1975
- Anderson, A.C. et al. “The Development and Application of Design Criteria for Precombustion Chambers on Natural Gas Fueled Engines,” Technical Paper 84-DGP-1 American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1984
- Kubesh, J.T. et al. “Lean Limit and Performance Improvements for a Heavy-Duty Natural Gas Engine,” SAE Technical Paper No. 961939 1996