This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Super-Gas™ Vehicle Conversion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 20, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The composite fuel, trademarked as “Super-Gas™”, a combination of Propane (LPG) and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), is stored in liquid form at relatively low pressures (1460 psig) as compared to traditional CNG systems. Vehicle conversion systems for this fuel system utilize many of the same components (conversion kit) as commercially available CNG systems.
Currently, three vehicles have been converted to operate in Super-Gas™ utilizing CNG conversion kits from three different after-market manufacturers. Driving testing has shown almost a two times increase in range compared to CNG for the same tank volume. Furthermore, RG-240 emission tests were successfully passed when the appropriate vehicle conversion is used. Finally, vehicle performance improves greatly even under heavy loads.
Although the cost of the Super-Gas™ conversion kit is similar to the CNG's, the benefits of extended range and vehicle performance justify the investment.
|Technical Paper||Super-Gas™ Fueling Stations|
|Technical Paper||Blue Bird's Alternative Fuelled Buses|
|Technical Paper||Chassis Dynamometer Emissions Testing Results for Diesel and Alternative-Fueled Transit Buses|
CitationSánchez, M., Borrás, C., Hergenrether, D., and Sutton, W., "Super-Gas™ Vehicle Conversion," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2473, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2473.
- Horstkamp, S. W. Starling, K.E. Harwell, J.F. Mallinson, R. “High-Energy Density Storage of Natural Gas in Light Hydrocarbons” AIChE J. 1997 43 4 1108
- Horstkamp, S. W. Starling, K.E. Harwell, J.F. Mallinson, R. “Method of Improving Natural Gas Density at Ambient Temperatures” Energy & Fuels 1995 9 6 1062
- Ahlstrand, A. Haynes, J.H. Toyota Corolla Automotive Repair Manual Haynes California 1991-1993
- Ahlstrand, A. Haynes, J.H. Chevrolet Pick-ups '88 thru ‘’99 Automotive Repair Manual Haynes California 1991-1993
- Haltech Engine Management System Manual Invent Engineering Pty Ltd Australia 1995
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Vehicular Fuel Systems Code 1998
- DRV Energy Inc. Verbal Suggestions
- Grimsley, J. “Draft Scientific and Technical Report for the Conversion of Vehicles to Composite Natural Gas Based Fuels, task 1 - Engineering and Tradeoff Studies, Fueling Equipment Specification Development” Science Applications International Corporation March 2001
- Fire Protection Handbook Tryon, George H. 1962
- US Postal Service “Automotive Diagnostics Report” Dec 1999