This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Smart Radiation Device: Design of an Intelligent Material with Variable Emittance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Variable emittance radiator, called SRD, is a thin and light ceramic tile whose infrared emissivity is varied proportionally by its own temperature. Bonded only to the external surface of spacecrafts, it controls the heat radiated to deep space without electrical or mechanical parts such as the thermal louver. By applying this new device for thermal control of spacecrafts, considerable weight and cost reductions can be achieved easily.
In this paper, the new design and the new manufacturing process of the SRD and its optical properties, such as the total hemispherical emittance and the solar absorptance, are described. By introducing this new design and manufacturing process, the weight of the SRD is easily decreased, keeping its strength and the optical properties.
|Technical Paper||Design and Ground Test Results of a Variable Emittance Radiator|
|Technical Paper||Design and Optical Performance Evaluation of Smart Radiation Device with Multi-layer Coating|
|Technical Paper||SCIAMACHY Optical Assembly Thermal Design|
- Sumitaka Tachikawa - The Institute of Space and Astronautical Science
- Akira Ohnishi - The Institute of Space and Astronautical Science
- Kazunori Shimazaki - Keio University
- Akira Okamoto - NEC corporation
- Yasuyuki Nakamura - NEC corporation
- Yuichi Shimakawa - NEC corporation
- Toru Mori - NEC corporation
- Atsushi Ochi - NEC corporation
CitationTachikawa, S., Ohnishi, A., Shimazaki, K., Okamoto, A. et al., "Smart Radiation Device: Design of an Intelligent Material with Variable Emittance," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2342, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2342.
- Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Shimazaki K. et al. SAE Paper No. 1999-01-2090 , 29th ICES July 1999
- Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Shimazaki K. et al. SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2277 , 30th ICES July 2000
- Shimazaki K. Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. SAE Paper No. 2001-01-2339 , 31th ICES July 2001
- Shimazaki K. Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. Proc. 19th Jpn. Symp. Thermophys. Prop 1998 75
- Wiik K. Schmidt C.R. Faaland S. Shamsili S. Einarsrud M. Grande T. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 82 3 721 28 1999
- Shimazaki K. Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. 8th International Symposium on Materials in Space Environment Arcachon, France June 2000