This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Deep Space Mission Radiation Shielding Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Providing protection against the hazards of space radiation is a major challenge to the exploration and development of space. The great cost of added radiation shielding is a potential limiting factor in deep space missions. In the present report, we present methods for optimized shield design over multi-segmented missions involving multiple work and living areas in the transport and duty phase of lunar and Mars missions. The total shield mass over all pieces of equipment and habitats is optimized subject to career dose and dose rate constraints.
CitationTripathi, R., Wilson, J., Cucinotta, F., Nealy, J. et al., "Deep Space Mission Radiation Shielding Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2326, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2326.
- Wilson, J.W. et al Chapter 1: Preliminary considerations Shielding Strategies for Human Space Exploration 1997
- Wilson, J.W. et al Issues in deep space radiation protection Astronautica Acta
- National Council on Radiation Protection &Measurements Guidance on Radiation Received in Space 1989
- National Council on Radiation Protection &Measurements Radiation Protection Guidance for Activities in Low Earth Orbit 2001
- Woolford, B. et al Chapter 12: Human factors implications for shielding Shielding Strategies for Human Space Exploration 1997
- Badhwar, G.D. O’Neill, P.M. Improved model of galactic cosmic radiation for space exploration mission Nucl. Tracks & Radiat 20 403 410 1992
- Badhwar G.D., et. al Intercomparison of radiation measurements on STS-63;, Radiat Meas 26 147 158 1997
- Wilson, J.W. Kim M-H Shinn, J.L. Tai, H. Cucinotta, F.A. Badhwar, G.D. Badavi, F.F. Atwell, W.
- Kim, M-H. Wilson, J.W. Simonsen, L.C. Cucinotta, F.A. Atwell, W. Badavi, F.F. Miller, J.
- Clowdsley, M. S. et al Can. J. Phys 78 45 56 2000
- Hoffman, S.J. Kaplan, D.I.