This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development and Testing of Visualization and Passively Controlled Life Support Systems for Experimental Organisms During Spaceflight
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development and ground-test results of three passively controlled life support systems for experiments currently onboard ISS, and scheduled for flight on STS-107 as part of the Space Media Inc. (SMI) Science and Technology Research Student (STARS®) global education program.
Two experiments use the Autonomous Biological System (ABS) technology, which has been tested during two 4-month Mir experiments. One ABS will house embryos and fry of the Japanese Medaka Fish, Oryzias latipes, A second ABS contains a complex ecosystem experiment. The third system uses a passive life support system based on agar gel for the harvester ant Pogonomyrmex occidentalis.
Thermal control, lighting and still and streaming digital imaging during the experiments are provided by the Generic Bioprocessing Apparatus - Isothermal Containment Module (GBA-ICM).
- Jane Poynter - Paragon Space Development Corp.
- Taber MacCallum - Paragon Space Development Corp.
- Grant Anderson - Paragon Space Development Corp.
- Mark Rupert - BioServe Space Technologies Inc., University of Colorado
- Sherry Woodard - BioServe Space Technologies Inc., University of Colorado
- Carla Goulart - BioServe Space Technologies Inc., University of Colorado
- Kimberly Campbell - SPACEHAB Inc.
CitationPoynter, J., MacCallum, T., Anderson, G., Rupert, M. et al., "The Development and Testing of Visualization and Passively Controlled Life Support Systems for Experimental Organisms During Spaceflight," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2288, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2288.
- Hoehn A. Freeman J. B. Jacobson M. Stodieck L.S. 1999 SAE proceedings, 1999-01-2177
- Ijiri K. 1994 Biol Sci Space 8 231 233
- Ishikawa, Y. Anderson G. Poynter J. MacCallum T. Frye R. Kawasaki Y. Koike J. Kobayashi K. Mizuttani H. Sugiua K. Ijiri K. Ishikawa Y. Saito T. Shiraishi A. 1996 Biol Sci Space 10 2 105 111
- Ishikawa, Yoji, Kobayashi Kensei Seki Kotaro Mizutani Hiroshi Kawasaki Yukishige Koike Junpei Ijiri Kenichi Yamashita Masamichi Sugiura Katsura Poynter Jane MacCallum Taber Anderson Grant 1998 Biol Sci Space 12 4 366 372
- MacCallum, T. Anderson G. Poynter J. Ishikawa Y. Kobayashi K. Mizutani H. Kawasaki Y. Koike J. Ijiri K. Yamashita M. Sugiura K. Leigh L. 2000
- Poynter, J. MacCallum T. Anderson G. 1996