This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation Study of Human Thermal Comfort Indices
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study investigates the complexities associated with quantifying human thermal comfort using indices. A detailed review of the literature is first performed. The uncertainties associated with comfort modeling are then highlighted. Possible indices are developed and evaluated using integrated human-suit-PLSS (Portable Life Support System) simulations developed at the University of Missouri. The study forms part of a larger project aimed at developing automatic thermal controllers for NASA space suits.
|Technical Paper||Virtual Thermal Comfort Engineering|
|Technical Paper||Altitude Performance Test Results for Low Pressure Turbine Mounted Generator|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Modeling of the Minimum Consumables PLSS|
CitationCline, H., Thornton, S., and Nair, S., "Simulation Study of Human Thermal Comfort Indices," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2267, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2267.
- Aoyagi Y. McLellan T.M. Determination of Body Heat Storage: How to Select the Weighting of Rectal and Skin Temperatures for Clothed Subjects Int. Arch. Occup. Environ. Health 68 325 336 1996
- Billingham, J. 1970
- Chambers, A.B. Blackaby, J.R. Miles, J.B. 1973
- Chambers, A.B. 1970 Controlling thermal comfort in the EVA space suit ASHRAE Journal 12 3 33 38
- Dunaway, B. 1987 Automatic liquid and ventilation cooling garment control algorithm final test report
- Fanger, P.O. 1970 Thermal Comfort McGraw-Hill Book Company New York
- Hensel H. 1981 Thermoreception and temperature regulation Monographs of the Physiological Society Academic Press London
- Iovine, J.V. 1987 Liquid cooling garment automatic thermal control test summary Houston Lockheed Engineering and Management Services Company
- Kuznetz, L.H. 1977
- Olesen, B.W. 1984 How Many Sites Are Necessary to Estimate a Mean Skin Temperature? Thermal Physiology 36 Hales, J.R.S. Raven Press New York
- Stinson, R.G. Montz M.E. 1988 Space station EVA test bed overview Proceedings of the 18 th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems San Francisco, CA 881060
- Webb P. 1970 Thermoregulation in actively cooled working men Physiological and Behavioral Temperature Regulation 756 774 Hardy J.D. Gagge A.P. Stolwijk, J.A.J. Charles C. Thomas Springfield, IL
- Waligora, J.M. 1967 Thermal Comfort and Tolerance Design Criteria