This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Two-Parameter Equations of State for ARPCS Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work summarizes the limitations of the Ideal Gas Law and the use of simple but accurate two-parameter equations of state for air, oxygen, and nitrogen in the operations of ECLS/EVA hardware. The equation-of-state parameters can be determined for pure gases and for mixtures by mixture combination rules. The parameters of two equations of state in Redlich-Kwong equation of state and Peng-Robinson equation of state have been calculated here. Technical evaluations for spacecraft applications and relevant ranges in temperatures and pressures have been performed. The equations are applicable for several ECLS subsystems: Temperature and Humidity Control, THC; Atmospheric Revitalization System, ARS; and Atmospheric Control System, ACS. The goal is to focus on equations of state for ECLS/EVA applications, especially in depress/repress/compression of air and gases. The purpose of this paper is to enlighten and empower our scientists and engineers with an accurate but simple tool in lieu of actual data of air and gas properties.
CitationChu, R., "Two-Parameter Equations of State for ARPCS Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2251, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2251.
- Ziegler, W. T., Thermodynamics and Cryogenics class notes, School of Chemical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Reid, R. C., Prausnitz, J. M., and Sherwood, T. K., ‘The Properties of Gases and Liquids’ McGraw-Hill, 1977.
- Edmister, W. C., and Lee, I. L., ‘Applied Hydrocarbon Thermodynamics’ Vol. 1 Golf Publishing, 1984.
- Beneddict, M., Webb G. B., and Rubin L. C.: Chem. Eng. Prog., 47:419, 1951.
- Sugie, H. and Lu C.-Y.: AIChE J., 17: 1068, 1971.
- Van der Waals, J. D., doctoral dissertation, Leiden Holland, 1873.
- Redlich, O., and Kwong J. N. S.: Chem. Rev., 44: 233, 1949.
- Soave, G.: Chem. Eng. Sci., 27:1197, 1972.
- Peng, D.-Y. and Robinson, D. B., Ind. Eng. Chem., Fundam., Vol. 15, No. 1, 1976.