This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development Of The Miniature Spacecraft Energy Retention (MiSER) Thermal Control Panel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Over the past two years, Starsys and The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) have been working toward the development of a thermal panel that uses a spacecraft’s internal power to control its temperature. The panel incorporates two different thermal technologies: a thermal switch and a high conductivity composite radiator. While thermal switches have been used before, the design and testing costs associated with each new design make them an undesirable alternative. The MISER panel incorporates a fully tested thermal switch with a radiator into a modular system that can be easily added onto any spacecraft structure. The lightweight radiator makes it self-supporting, so interfaces with the mounting structure are simplified. The same panel can provide thermal control over a wide range of environmental conditions, making constellation spacecraft viable with significantly different orbits. The paper discusses the development of the MISER panel and the analysis and testing done to quantify the performance of the system.
CitationMehoke, D. and Lankford, K., "Development Of The Miniature Spacecraft Energy Retention (MiSER) Thermal Control Panel," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2219, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2219.
- De La Torre, W., “Emerging Materials for Thermal Control in Spacecraft”, Spacecraft Thermal Control Technology Workshop, March 2001.
- Gilmore, David G., “Satellite Thermal Control Handbook”, The Aerospace Corporation Press, 1994
- Hager, B., Ponnappan, R., Beam, J., “Air Force Research laboratory Thermal Management Technology Roadmap”, Spacecraft Thermal Control Technology Workshop, March 2001
- Lam, T. and Fischer, W., “Thermal Resistance in Rectangular Orthotropic Heat Spreaders”, Advances in Electronic Packaging, ASME EEP, Vol 26–1, pp891–898, 1999
- Montesano, M., “Encapsulated Thermal Pyrolytic Graphite Material Solutions for Thermal Management”, 44th International SAMPE Symposium, May 1999
- Osiander, W., Champion, J. Darrin, M. Douglas, D. Swanson, T. Allen, J. “Micromachined Shutter Arrays for ST5 Variable Emissivity Radiators”, Spacecraft Thermal Control Technology Workshop, March 2001.
- Rawal, S., Rasbach, C., Shih, W., “Carbob-carbon Thermal Doublers for Spacecraft”, 44th International SAMPE Symposium, May 1999
- Riley, W., “Affordable Carbon-Carbon Composites for Thermal Management Applications”, NSECCD-CR-TR-98/006, June 1997
- Swanson, T.,“NASA/Goddard Thermal Control Technology Roadmap 2001”, Spacecraft Thermal Control Technology Workshop, March 2001