This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of the Thermal Control System for the Space Technology 5 Microsatellite
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The New Millennium Program’s (NMP) Space Technology 5 (ST-5) Project, currently in Phase B of the design process, is slated to launch three 20-kg class spin stabilized microsatellites in late 2003. The proposed orbit is highly elliptical and could result in an earth shadow eclipse of almost 2 hours. Although ST-5’s maximum eclipse is only 2 hours, future missions could involve eclipses as long as 8 hours. As spacecraft size, mass, and available resources decrease and eclipse duration increases, thermal engineers will be challenged to design simple but robust thermal control systems that meet temperature requirements for all phases of the mission. In addition, future similar missions may involve large “fleets” of such small spacecraft, which, for cost and I&T reasons, must be almost identical in design. Such spacecraft will require a generic but robust thermal control design that is suitable for a wide variety of thermal environments. This paper presents the results of a study of three design concepts and preliminary analysis of the design selected for ST-5.
CitationDouglas, D., Michalek, T., and Swanson, T., "Design of the Thermal Control System for the Space Technology 5 Microsatellite," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2214, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2214.
- Champion J. Osiander R. Garrison Darrin A. M. Swanson T. “MEMS Louvers for Thermal Control” MNT99 Proceedings 233 241 1999
- Grob L. Swanson T. “Parametric Study of Variable Emissivity Radiator Surfaces” STAIF January 2000
- Garrison Darrin A. M. Osiander R. Champion J. Swanson T. Douglas D. “Variable Emissivity Through MEMS Technology” STAIF AIP Conference Proceedings 504 El-Genk Mohamed S. 803 809 New York, 2000
- Champion J. Osiander R. Garrison Darrin A. M. Swanson T. Douglas D. Grob L. “Variable Emissivity Through MEMS” ITHERM Proceedings 215 2000
- Champion J. Osiander R. Darrin A. M. Sniegowski J. Rogers S. Douglas D. Swanson T. “Micromachined Louver Arrays for Spacecraft Thermal Control Radiators” AIAA2001-0215 January 8–11 2001
- Ku J. “Overview of Capillary Pumped Loop Technology” Heat Pipes and Capillary Pumped Loops 1993 1 17
- Ku J. “Operating Characteristics of Loop Heat Pipes” ICES Paper No. 1999-01-2007 1999
- Ku J. “Recent Advances in Capillary Pumped Loop Technology” AIAA Paper No. 97-3870 1997
- Nikitkin M. Cullimore B. “CPL and LHP Technologies: What are the Differences, What are the Similarities?” SAE Paper No. 981587 1998
- Cullimore B. “CPL Applications Guide” SAE Paper No. 932156 1993
- Butler D. “Overview of CPL and LHP Applications on NASA Missions” 1999