This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Early Results of an Integrated Water Recovery System Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The work presented in this paper summarizes the early results of an integrated advanced water recovery system test conducted by the Crew and Thermal Systems Division (CTSD) at NASA-Johnson Space Center (JSC). The system design and the results of the first two months of operation are presented. The overall objective of this test is to demonstrate the capability of an integrated advanced water recovery system to produce potable quality water for at least six months. Each subsystem is designed for operation in microgravity. The primary treatment system consists of a biological system for organic carbon and ammonia removal. Dissolved solids are removed by reverse osmosis and air evaporation systems. Finally, ion exchange technology in combination with photolysis or photocatalysis is used for polishing of the effluent water stream. The wastewater stream consists of urine and urine flush water, hygiene wastewater and a simulated humidity condensate.
|Technical Paper||Integrated Water Recovery System Test|
|Technical Paper||Development Status of ISS Water Processor Assembly|
|Technical Paper||Water Supply Based on Water Reclamation from Humidity Condensate and Urine on a Space Station|
- Barry W. Finger - Honeywell, Inc.
- Charles E. Verostko - Liberated Staffing Services
- Karen D. Pickering - NASA Johnson Space Center
- Kristina R. Wines - NASA Johnson Space Center
- Chris Carrier - GB Tech
- Jayesh C. Gandhi - GB Tech
- Leticia M. Vega - GB Tech
- Melissa L. Campbell - Hamilton Sunstrand Management Services, Inc.
- Gina M. Pariani - Lockheed-Martin Space Operations
- Lea A. Franks - Lockheed-Martin Space Operations
- Jannivine Yeh - Lockheed-Martin Space Operations
CitationPickering, K., Wines, K., Pariani, G., Franks, L. et al., "Early Results of an Integrated Water Recovery System Test," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2210, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2210.
- Edeen, Marybeth A. Feb. 2000
- Gonzales-Martin, A. Kim, J. Sidik, R. Hyfte, J. Van, Rutherford, L.A. Andrews, C. Flusche, D. Lyons Neil, B. “A New Photocatalytic Reactor for Trace Contaminant Control-A Water Polishing System” July 1999
- Karen D. Edeen, Marybeth A. “Lunar-Mars Life Support Test Program Phase III Water Recovery System Operation and Results, Phase III Test SAE 981707 1998
- Verostko, Charles E. Finger, Barry, W. Duffield, Bruce E. “Design of a Post-Processor for A Water Recovery System” SAE 2000-01-2519 , Presented at the 30th International Conference on Environmental Systems Toulouse, France July 2000