This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detergent and Friction Modifier Effects on Metal/Metal and Clutch Material/Metal Frictional Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The goal of this work was to find combinations of detergent and friction modifier additives that would produce high metal/metal friction with good clutch material performance. A baseline formulation was used with various combinations of five different detergents with five different friction modifiers. Two bench tests were used to assess performance. A CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) Element-on-Ring Test was used to study metal/metal performance, and a VSFT (Variable Speed Friction Tester) procedure with cellulose based friction material was used to evaluate the μ-v (friction coefficient-velocity) clutch performance. Interestingly, a 400 TBN magnesium sulfonate detergent combined with a phosphorus containing friction modifier showed a special synergy. The metal/metal, element-on-ring data showed one of the highest average friction coefficients, and the VSFT results showed that this combination also displayed a moderately high dynamic friction coefficient with a high, positive μ-v slope. The positive slope is indicative of good clutch material antishudder performance. Even after prestressing (fluid aging), this combination was one of the few formulations that maintained a moderately high positive slope with a moderate dynamic coefficient of friction over the entire range of temperatures studied. In conclusion, this paper documents the full bench test results of all the different detergent and friction modifier combinations.
CitationDerevjanik, T., "Detergent and Friction Modifier Effects on Metal/Metal and Clutch Material/Metal Frictional Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1993, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1993.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
- Huston, M.E. Tipton, C.D. Qureshi, F. Sumiejski, J.L. Derevjanik, T.S. Flask, C.A. Whitticar, D.J. Ward, W.C. “Shifting from Automatic to Continuously Variable Transmissions: A Look at Fluid Technology Requirements” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3614 1999
- Willermet, P.A. “Topics in Transmission Tribology” Journal of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers February 1999 39 43
- Fewkes, R. Gunsing, J. Sumiejski, J.L. “Lubricant as a Construction Element in the VDT Push-Belt CVT System” SAE Paper No. 932848 1993
- KraneBurg, P. BlackBurn, J.H. Mitsui, H. Nakazawa, K. Wakizono, T. “Lubrication of Continuously Variable Transmissions” Proceedings of the 11 th International Colloquium Tribology on Industrial and Automotive Lubrication January 13-15 1998 Technische Akademie Esslingen Germany 1717 1725
- Kugimiya, T. Yoshimura, N. Kuribayashi, T. Mitsui, J. Ueda, F. Ando, Y. Nakada, T. Ohira, H. “Next Generation High Performance ATF for Slip-Controlled Automatic Transmissions” SAE Paper No. 97FL-284 1997
- Ward, W.C. Jr., Sumiejski, J.L. Derevjanik, T.S. Fewkes, R. Ikeda, M. “Belt Drive CVT Fluid Evaluation” '98 International Symposium of Tribology of Vehicle Transmissions February 4-6 1998
- Ishikawa, T. Murakami, Y. Yauchibara, R. Santo, A. “The Effect of Belt-Drive CVT Fluid on the Friction Coefficient Between Metal Components” SAE Paper No. 972921 1997
- Watts, R.F. Richard, K.M. “CVT Lubrication: The Effect of Lubricants on the Frictional Characteristics of the Belt-Pulley Interface” Fifth CEC International Symposium on the Performance Evaluation of Automotive Fuels and Lubricants May 13-15 1997 Goteborg Sweden
- Mitsui, H. Nakazawa, K. Kakegawa, K. Murakami, Y. Ishikawa, T. Yauchibara, R. “Performance of CVT Fluid Developed for Belt-Drive Continuously Variable Transmissions with High Torque Capacity” Proceedings of the 11 th International Colloquium Tribology on Industrial and Automotive Lubrication January 13-15 1998 Technische Akademie Esslingen Germany 1735 1740
- Kano, M. Mabuchi, Y. Ishikawa, T. Sano, A. Wakizono, T. “The Effect of ZDDP Additive in CVT Fluid on Increasing the Traction Capacity of Belt-Drive Continuously Variable Transmissions” Proceedings of the 11 th International Colloquium Tribology on Industrial and Automotive Lubrication January 13-15 1998 Technische Akademie Esslingen Germany 1727 1734
- Ward, W.C. Jr., Sumiejski, J.L. Castanien, C.J. Tagliamonte, T.A. Schiferl, E.A. “Friction and Stick-Slip Durability Testing of ATF” SAE Paper No. 941883 1994