This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Higher Accuracy Through Combining of Quasi-3D (Instead of 1D) with True-3D Manifold Flow Models During the Simulation of ICE Gas Exchange Processes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2001 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
So far the simulation of the gas exchange, air/fuel mixture formation and burning processes in ICE was usually done, for cost reasons, by a combination of 1D models for the intake and exhaust manifold and 3D models for the cylinder. In order to implement the modeling of the pipe flow more exactly, and also economically at the same time, a new method is presented here, called the quasi-3D method.
After the presentation of the theoretical basis and the detailed description of the modeling technique, the quasi 3D method for one-cylinder research engine is applied. The simulation results of this application are compared with pressure measurements, followed by an evaluation and discussion of their accuracy.
CitationGheorghiu, V., "Higher Accuracy Through Combining of Quasi-3D (Instead of 1D) with True-3D Manifold Flow Models During the Simulation of ICE Gas Exchange Processes," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1913, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1913.
Data Sets - Support Documents
- Zierep, J. Grundzüge der Strömungslehre Springer Verlag 1997
- Boussinesq, I. Memoire sur l´influence des frott-ments dans les mouvements réguliers des fluides 377 1868
- Florea, J. Panaitescu, V. Mecanica fluidelor 1979
- Idelchik, I. E. Handbook of hydraulic-resistance Springer Verlag 1986
- Yee, H.-C. A class of high resolution explicit and implicit shock capturing methods NASA Technical memorandum of 101088 and of Karman Institutes for Fluid Dynamics 1989-04
- Schillmueller, J. Experimental investigation of the gas exchange processes at a AVL one-cylinder research engine University of Applied Sciences Hamburg 1997
- Riemann, B. Über die Fortpflanzung ebener Luft-wellen von endlicher Schwingungsweite 43 65 1858 59
- Jenny, E. One-dimensional transient flow with consideration of friction, heat transfer and charge of section Brown Boveri Rev. 37 447 461 1950
- Seifert, H. Instationäre Strömungsvorgänge in Rohrleitungen an Verbrennungskraftmaschinen Springer Verlag 1962
- Benson, R. S. Garg, R.D. Woollatt, D. A numerical solution of unsteady flows problems Int. J. Mech. Sci. 6 117 144 1964
- Roe, P. L. Approximate Riemann solvers, parameter vectors and difference schemes J. Comp. Phys. 43 357 372 1981
- Winterbone, D. E. Pearson, R. J. Design techniques for engine manifolds - Wave action methods for IC engines Professional Engineering Publishing 1999