This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
V Order Logarithmic Polynomials for Thermodynamic Calculations in ICE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is well-known that the reliability of calculations in ICEs depends on the accuracy of gases thermodynamic properties model. Several relationships modeling the composition of unburned and burned mixtures have been developed for computer use.
In this paper, the authors have determined new relationships suitable also for ICEs applications, in order to calculate the enthalpy for various gases, and mixtures.
These relationships can be used in the models describing the processes of intake, compression, combustion and expansion, to simulate a complete engine cycle and to foresee engine performance.
These relationships have the functional form of a “V order Logarithmic Polynomial”, and they can be used in temperature range of practical interest.
CitationLanzafame, R. and Messina, M., "V Order Logarithmic Polynomials for Thermodynamic Calculations in ICE," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1912, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1912.
- “TRC Thermodynamic Tables” Thermodynamics Research Center 1985 1-883400-06-6
- Vargaftik N. B. “Tables on the Thermophysical Properties of Liquids and Gases”
- Vargaftik N. B. Vinogradov Yurii K. Yargin Vadim S. “Handbook of Physical Properties of Liquids and Gases” 3rd July 1996 Begell House 1567000630
- “JANAF Thermochemical Tables” 3d 1-2 Chase M.W. American Chemical Society 1986
- Svehla R. McBride B.J. “Fortran Iv Computer program for the calculation of thermodynamic and transport properties of complex chemical systems” NASA technical note TND-7056 1973
- “NIST - JANAF Thermochemical Tables” 4th 1-2 Chase M.W. American Institute of Physics 1998
- Gordon S. McBride B.J. “Computer Program for the Calculation of Complex Chemical Equilibrium Composition, Rocket Performance, Incident and Reflected Shock and Chapman-Jouguet Detonation” NASA publication 1971
- Hires S.D. Eckian A. Heywood J.B. “Performance and NOx Emissions Modelling of a Jet Ignition Prechamber Stratified Charge Engine” SAE paper 760161 , SAE Trans. 85 1976
- Brunt M.F.J. Rai H. Emtage A.L. “The Calculation of Heat Release Energy from Engine Cylinder Pressure Data” SAE paper 981052 1998
- Shayler P.J. May S.A. Ma T. “The Determination of Heat Transfer from the Combustion Chambers of SI Engines” SAE paper 931131 1998
- Kamimoto T. Minagawa T. Kobori S. “A Two-Zone Model Analysis of Heat Release Rate in Diesel Engines” SAE paper 972959 1998
- Sastry G.V.J. Chandra H. “A Three-Zone Heat Release Model for DI Diesel Engines” SAE paper 940671 1998
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 1988
- Lanzafame R. Messina M. “A New Method for the Calculation of Gases Enthalpy” IECEC-2000-2851 - Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference Las Vegas July 2000