This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Piston Topland Geometry on Emissions of Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of crevice volumes on the emissions of unburned hydrocarbons from a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engine has been experimentally investigated. By varying the size and the geometry of the largest crevice, the piston topland, it was possible to ascertain whether or not crevices are the largest source of HC. Additionally, information on quenching distances for ultra lean mixtures was obtained. The tests were performed on a single cylinder engine fuelled with iso-octane.
The results showed that most of the unburned hydrocarbons descend from the crevices. Increasing the topland width to some degree lead to an increase in HC. A further increase in topland width (>1.3 mm) resulted in a reduction of HC when using mixtures richer than λ ≈ 2.8, indicating that some of the mixture trapped in the topland participates in the combustion. In conditions when combustion occurred in the topland, the HC was rather insensitive to the height of the topland. By opening up the topland, the HC emissions were in some cases reduced by over 50 %.
CitationChristensen, M., Johansson, B., and Hultqvist, A., "The Effect of Piston Topland Geometry on Emissions of Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1893, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1893.
- Christensen M. Einewall P. Johansson B. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Using Iso-octane, Ethanol and Natural Gas- A Comparison to Spark Ignition Operation” SAE 972874
- Christensen M. Johansson B. Amnéus P. Mauss F. “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE 980787
- Christensen M. Johansson B. “Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE9824541
- Christensen M. Johansson B. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with Water Injection” SAE 1999-01-0182
- Christensen M. Hultqvist A. Johansson B. “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio” SAE 1999-01-3679
- Christensen M. Johansson B. “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) with Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Pilot fuel” SAE 2000-01-1835
- Cheng W. Hamrin D. Heywood J. B. “An overview of hydrocarbon emissions mechanisms in spark ignition engines” SAE 932708
- Schramm J. Sorensen S. C. “A model for hydrocarbon emissions from a SI engine” SAE 902169
- Dent J. C. Lakshminarayanan P. A. “A model for absorption and desorption of fuel vapor by cylinder lubricating oil films and its contribution to hydrocarbon emissions” SAE 830652
- Korematus K. “Effect of fuel absorbed in oil films on unburned hydrocarbon emissions from spark ignited engines” JSME Int. J. 1990 604 614
- Kaiser E. W. et al Storage and partial oxidation of unburned hydrocarbons on spark ignition engines: effect of compression ratio and spark timing” Combustion Sci. And Tech. 1984 36 3-4 171 180
- Ishizawa S. Tagaki Y. “A study of hydrocarbon emissions from spark ignition engines” JSME Int. J. 1987 30 260 310 317
- Amczky A. A. Kaiser E. W. “An experimental study of hydrocarbon emissions from closed vessel explosions” Symposium on Combustion Combustion Institute 1981 1881 1890
- Wentworth J. T. “The piston crevice volume effect on exhaust hydrocarbon emissions” Combustion Sci. And Tech. 1971 4 1-2 97 100
- Naimazan M. Heywood J.B. “Flow in the piston-cylinder-ring crevice of a SI engine: effect on emissions, efficiency and power” SAE 820088
- Saika Takashi Korematsu Koji “Flame propagation into the ring crevice of a spark ignition engine” SAE 861528
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill New York 1989
- Huang Z. H. Pan K. Y. Zhou L B. Jiang D. M. “Effect of topland width and engine operating conditions on exhaust hydrocarbon emission from a spark ignition engine” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 210 3 1996
- Glassman I. “Combustion” third Academic press 1996
- Johansson B. “On Cycle to Cycle Variations in Spark Ignition Engines” Dept. of Heat & Power Engineering, Lund Institute of Technology Sweden 1995