This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research and Development of a Direct Injection Stratified Charge Rotary Engine with a Pilot Flame Ignition System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Direct Injection Stratified Charge Rotary Engine ( DISC-RE ) with a pilot flame ignition system has been studied to find the possibility of simultaneous reductions of fuel consumption rate and HC exhaust gas emissions. Firstly, combustion characteristics in a model combustion chamber, which simulates the DISC-RE were examined from the viewpoints of calculation and experiment. The high speed photography and the indicated pressure analysis were experimentally performed while numerical calculations of the mixture formation and combustion processes were also carried out. As a result, it has been found that the combustion using the pilot flame ignition system is much activated and a better ignitability is attained under lean mixtures than using a spark ignition system. Secondly, a single rotor with 650 cc displacement DISC-RE was built as a prototype. Combustion characteristics and its performance were tested using a combustion analyzer. Light oil and kerosene were used for performance tests. As a result, the DISC-RE showed capabilities of practical use. Also, this engine could be stably operated using multi-fuel such as gasoline, light oil, or kerosene.
CitationMuroki, T., Moriyoshi, Y., Takagi, M., Suzuki, K. et al., "Research and Development of a Direct Injection Stratified Charge Rotary Engine with a Pilot Flame Ignition System," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1844, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1844.
- Jones C. Lamping H. C.W. Development Status of DISC-RE SAE Paper 710582 1971
- Nguyen H. L. Addy H.E. Performance and Efficiency Evaluation and Heat Release Rate Study of DISC-RE SAE Paper 870445 1987
- Shock H. J. Stageman J. S. Calculation of the Unsteady 3-D Flow Field inside a Motored DISC-RE SAE Paper 880625 1988
- Abraham J. Bracco F. V. Comparisons of Computed and Measured Mean Velocity and Turbulent Intensity in a Motored R.E. SAE Paper 881602 1988
- Hasegawa Y. Yamaguchi K. An Experimental Investigation on Air-Fuel Mixture Formation Inside a Low Pressure DISC-RE SAE Paper 930678 1993
- Muroki T. Gotou S. Morita K. A study of an outline of combustion for a direct injection stratified charge rotary engine SAE Paper 901600 1990
- Moriyoshi Y. Muroki T. Xu. W. A study on combustion characteristics of DISC rotary engine using a model combustion chamber SAE Paper 941028 1994
- Moriyoshi Y. Muroki T. Song Y. W. Stratified charge combustion system using pilot flame ignition Trans. of JSME 61-950B 1998 1566
- Muroki T. Moriyoshi Y. Combustion characteristics of spark-ignition and pilot flame ignition systems in a motored Wankel stratified charge engine J. of Automobile Engineers 214-D 2000 949
- Moriyoshi Y. Takagi M. Hu X. Analysis of Mixture Formation Process with a Swirl-Type Injector SAE Paper 2000-01-2057 2000