This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving the Performance of Two-Stroke Spark Ignition Engine by Direct Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two Stroke Spark Ignition Engines have high exhaust emissions and low brake thermal efficiency due to the short-circuiting losses and incomplete combustion, which occur during idling and at part-load operating conditions. In the present work an attempt was made to eliminate the short-circuiting losses by direct injection. A low-pressure direct fuel injection system was developed with the Bosch electric fuel pump and solenoid injector. The necessary electronic control unit hardware and software were developed in the institute for research purpose. The present work was conducted in three phases. In the first phase the carburetor was replaced by the manifold injection system and the performance of the system was optimized for minimum emissions. In the second phase the extra reed valve concept reference (10) was implemented on the manifold injection system to improve scavenging. In the final phase the direct injection system was developed which eliminates short-circuiting losses completely. The performance, emissions and combustion characteristics of the above three systems at 2500,3000, 3500 and 4000 rpm were analyzed on a 150-cc single cylinder engine. The operation of the three systems and their benefits are described in detail in the following sections.
CitationRamakrishnan., E., Nagalingam, B., and Gopalakrishnan, K., "Improving the Performance of Two-Stroke Spark Ignition Engine by Direct Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1843, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1843.
- Vieillident Edmont “Low Pressure Electronic Fuel Injection System for Two Stroke Engines” SAE Paper No 780767
- Ramesh. Gopalakrishnan K.V. Nagalingam B. “Improvement in the Performance of the Two Stroke S.I. Engine through Extra Reed Valves Fitted near the Transfer Port” M.Tech Thesis Report Indian Institute Of Technology Madras Chennai 1985
- Douglas R. Blair G.P. “Fuel Injection for Two Stroke Cycle Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Paper No 820952
- Grasas-Alsina C. E-Freixa Esteban F. Masso J. “Low Pressure Discontinuous Gasoline Injection in Two-Stroke Engines” SAE Paper 860168
- Francisik Bizjan Radislav Parietic “Nozzle Location and the Shape of its Surroundings in the Cylinder of Small Two Stroke Engines” SAE Paper No 860169
- Beck John Et Al “Electronic Fuel Injection for Two Stroke Engines” SAE Paper No. 861242
- Sato Tandonori Nakayama Mitsushige “Gasoline Direct Injection for a Loop Scavenged Two-Stroke Cycle Engine” SAE Paper 871690
- Plohberger Diethard Mikulic Leo.A. Landfahrer Klaus “Development of a Fuel Injected Two Stroke Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 880170
- Schechter Michael M. Jarry Eugene H Lenin Michael B “High Speed Fuel Injection System For Two Stroke Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 910666
- Leighton S. Mcebis Southern M. Ahens S Horner L. “The OCP-Small Engine Fuel Injection System for Future Two Stroke Marine Engines” SAE Paper 941687
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1995