This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
EXPERIMENTAL ANALYSIS OF A TWO-STROKE DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE PROTOTYPE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several studies are currently dealing with the so-called ‘new generation two-stroke engines’. In nearly all these, charge control by means of fuel injection has been proposed to overcome the well-known problems of fuel and lube-oil consumption, and the probably unacceptable level of pollutant emissions. Direct injection, in particular, seems to guarantee the best results as it allows to avoid the short-circuiting of the fuel to the exhaust.
The direct-injection systems proposed in recent times do not seem to be widely applicable especially to small two-stroke engines as they introduce considerably complicated and consequently high-cost systems.
A new direct injection system, based on the hydraulic phenomenon commonly known as “water hammer”, has been proposed by the authors as a reliable means of achieving high injection pressures while maintaining the simple manufacturing and low-cost characteristics of two-stroke engines. Though ideal for small two-stroke engines this concept appears suitable also for every other kind of spark-ignited engine.
The system, equipped with a low-pressure fuel pump, provides high injection pressure values thanks to the conversion of the kinetic energy of the fluid into a local pressure rise which takes place when the fuel flow is suddenly halted by an automatic valve.
CitationBartolini, C., Caresana, F., and Vincenzi, G., "EXPERIMENTAL ANALYSIS OF A TWO-STROKE DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE PROTOTYPE," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1840, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1840.
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1996 “Direct Injection in Two-Stroke Spark-Ignition Engines: Some Proposals and Researches” SAE paper n° 961710 - Powerplants of the Future (SP-1187) 47 55 Collection of papers from the “Powerplants” 1996 SAE Future Transportation Technology Conference & Exposition Vancouver, Canada August 5-8 1996
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1998 “Experimental analysis of a New Water Hammer Gasoline Direct Injection System (WH-GDIS)” SAE paper 981936 , SP-1376, 1998 SAE FTT Future Transportation Technology Conference and Exposition Costa Mesa, California, USA August 11-13 1998
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1998 II 1575 1586 Firenze 15-18 Settembre 1998
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1999 “A Two-Stroke Engine Prototype Equipped with the Water-Hammer Gasoline Direct-Injection System (WH.GDIS) ASME ICE Technical Conference Fall 1999 Ann Arbor, Michigan October 16-20 1999
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 1999 Roma 3-4-5 novembre 1999
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. 2000 Bari-Matera Settembre 2000