This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PREDICTION OF SMALL ENGINE NOISE RADIATION BY THE MULTI-CODE APPROACH
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An integrated numerical procedure has been developed in order to predict the noise radiation of small engine for automotive and general purpose applications.
In exhaust system of single or multi-cylinder small engine, complex shape elements are always included (junction, compact chamber), where non-planar higher-order modes exist. Besides, the amplitude of pressure wave, propagating inside such exhaust systems, is generally not bounded by linear acoustic limit.
For these reasons, aimed at providing realistic and accurate description of their fluid dynamic and acoustic behaviour, an integrated multi-code methodology, based on 0D, 1D and 3D models, has been set up; the investigation of the flow conditions all throughout the exhaust system, allows to predict the sound emission.
The developed approach retains the advantages of all methods: detailed information of flow behaviour as it is able to accurately predict, with the 3D scheme, the propagation of the pressure waves through complex elements, such as junctions, avoiding the significant limitations that a one-dimensional schematization always introduces, as well as fast processing typical of 1D and 0D schemes devoted to the analysis of ducts and volumes.
The multi-code method, set up and tested, has been applied on a typical small four stroke Diesel engine. The evaluation of the noise emission has been carried out and the results have been compared with experimental measurements.
CitationChiatti, G. and Chiavola, O., "PREDICTION OF SMALL ENGINE NOISE RADIATION BY THE MULTI-CODE APPROACH," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1838, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1838.
- Ferrari G. Onorati A. Modellazione Fluidodinamica Non-Lineare di Silenziatori ad Elementi Perforati e con Materiale Fonoassorbente Proc. of the 51 st ATI Conf. Italy 937 952 1996
- Onorati A. Prediction of the Acoustical Performances of Muffling Pipe Systems by the Method of Characteristics Journal of Sound and Vibration 171 3 369 395 1994
- Onorati A. A White Noise Approach for Rapid Gas Dynamic Modelling of IC Engine Silencers Proc. of the 3 rd IMechE CET 219 228 1996
- Davies P. O. A. L. Practical Flow Duct Acoustics Journal of Sound and Vibration 124 91 115 1988
- Davies P. O. A. L. Harrison M. F. Collins H. J. Acoustic Modelling of Multiple Path Silences with Experimental Validations Journal of Sound and Vibration 200 2 195 225 1997
- Davies P. O. A. L. Coelho J. L. Bento Bhattacharya M. Reflection Coefficients for an Unflanged Pipe with Flow Journal of Sound and Vibration 72 543 546 1980
- Davies P. O. A. L. Piston Engine Intake and Exhaust System Design Journal of Sound and Vibration 190 4 677 712 1996
- Onorati A. Ferrari G. Analisi del Comportamento Acustico dei Silenziatori con Modelli Gasdinamici 1-D Proc. of the 48 th ATI Conf. Italy 355 369 1993
- Payri F. Desantes J.M. Torregrosa A. J. Acoustic Boundary Condition for Unsteady One-Dimensional Flow Calculations Journal of Sound and Vibration 181 1 85 110 1995
- Chiavola O. Time and Frequency Approach to Model IC Engine Intake and Exhaust Systems Journal of Sound and Vibration
- Chiatti G. Chiavola O. Engine Intake Noise Modelling by Using a Time/Frequency Approach SAE paper 011440 2001
- Chiavola O. Integrated Modelling of Internal Combustion Engine Intake and Exhaust Systems Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- FIRE Manual version 7.0 AVL LIST GmbH
- Jones A. D. Brown G. L. Determination of Two-Stroke Engine Exhaust Noise by the Method of Characteristics Journal of Sound and Vibration 82 3 305 327 1982
- Jones A. D. Modelling the Exhaust Noise Radiated from Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines A Literature Review, Noise Control Engineering Journal 12 31 1984
- Onorati A. Numerical Simulation of Exhaust Flows and Tailpipe Noise of a Small Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Proc. of the SETC 1995