This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Performance and Exhaust Gas Emissions Characteristics of (CNG/Diesel) Dual-Fuel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Single-cylinder diesel engines are widely utilized in Malaysia to generate electricity on small scales in open markets and rural areas. This paper represents a brief study carried out to: (1) understand the nature of exhaust emissions (NOx, CO and CO2) when adopting a dual fuel system using Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) in a single-cylinder, stationary diesel engine, and (2) compare the dual-fuel emission and engine performance results to those of diesel. The use of CNG is considered a possible solution for reducing the toxic emissions from these engines. This work shows that by using the dual fuel system, NOx, CO and CO2 concentrations in the exhaust gases were, on average, reduced by 54%, 59% and 31% respectively when the engine runs at maximum-load operating conditions. The average power output from the engine operating at dual fuel was 10% higher than that operating on diesel over the tested range of engine speeds.
CitationYusaf, T., Al-Atabi, M., and Buttsworth, D., "Engine Performance and Exhaust Gas Emissions Characteristics of (CNG/Diesel) Dual-Fuel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1808, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1808.
- International Association for Natural Gas Vehicles (Inc) IANGV NGV Survey Newsletter 20 240 Auckland, New Zealand September 1991
- Guthrie, J. De Vita, J. Nguyen, K. Ferreira, T “Sources and Control of Oxides of Nitrogen Emissions” Report State of California California Environmental Protection Agency, Air Resources August 1997
- Yusaf, T. F. 1995 The Use of Natural Gas in Small High Speed Diesel Engine Thesis Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
- Yusaf, T. F. Shamsuddin, A. H. Ali, Y. Ismail, A. F. “Design Modification of High Speed Diesel Engine to Accommodate Compressed Natural Gas” RERIC International Energy Journal 18 1 June 1996
- Yusaf, Talal F. Shamsuddin, A.H. Ali, Yusoff “CNG Mixer for a Commercial Diesel Engine” 7 th International Conference & Exhibition on Natural Gas Vehicles October 17-19 2000 Yokohama, Japan 567 574
- David, M.C. Newman, P.E. Vander Lee B.H. Pollak, I. “Performance and Emission of a Converted RABA 2356 Bus Engine in Diesel and Dual Fuel Diesel/Natural Gas Operation” Proceedings of SAE Future Transportation Technology Conference (931823) San Antonio, Texas August 1993
- Weaver, C.S. Turner, S.H. “Dual Fuel Natural Gas/ Diesel Engines. Technology, Performance, and Emission” International Congress and Exposition SAE Technical Paper Series 940548 Detroit, Michigan February 28 March 3 1994
- Dong, S.J. Sung, W.S. Seung, M.O. Kyo, N.C. “Development of a Mechanical CNG- Diesel Dual Fuel System SAE Technical Paper Series ( 931947 ) 1993