This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PERFORMANCE AND EMISSION CHARACTERISTICS OF DIESEL ENGINES FUELED BY VEGETABLE OILS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of the present study is to clarify how utilization methods of vegetable oils influence engine performance and emissions. In the experiment two types of small single cylinder DI diesel engines were employed: Engine A, equipped with a bowl in the piston, is designed for use in fishing boats. Engine B has a toroidal type combustion chamber and is designed for agricultural use. The experiments used BDF (biodiesel fuel) and rape-seed oil as the base fuel: BDF was emulsified with water and rape-seed oil was blended with several kinds of alcohol. The engine performance and emission characteristics were compared with gas oil operation. The emulsified BDF reduced NOx and smoke emissions significantly although the specific energy consumption (BSEC) increased slightly depending on the engine type and operating conditions. Performance tests also showed that with up to 40% (vol.) alcohol addition, the blended fuels with 1-propanol or 1-butanol in rape-seed oil realize stable combustion similar to gas oil operation. The smoke emissions with alcohol blended fuels were somewhat lower than with gas oil while the BSEC was slightly higher with the alcohols. ç
CitationYoshimoto, Y., Onodera, M., and Tamaki, H., "PERFORMANCE AND EMISSION CHARACTERISTICS OF DIESEL ENGINES FUELED BY VEGETABLE OILS," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1807, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1807.
- Murayama,T., Oh, Y., Miyamoto, N., Chikahisa, T., Takagi, N., Itow, K., “Low Carbon Flower Buildup, Low Smoke, and Efficient Diesel Operation with Vegetable Oils by Conversion to Mono-Esters and Blending with Diesel Oil or Alcohols”, SAE Paper 841161, 1984.
- Geyer, S. M., Jacobus, M. J., Lestz, S. S., “Comparison of Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions from Neat and Transesterified Vegetable Oils”, Trans. of the ASAE, 1984.
- Ziejewski, M., Goettler, H., Pratt, G. L., “Comparative Analysis of the Long-Term Performance of a Diesel Engine on Vegetable Oil Based Alternate Fuels”, SAE Paper 860301, 1986.
- Ishii, Y., Takeuchi, R., “Transesterified Curcas Oil Blends for Farm Diesel Engines”, Trans. of the ASAE, Vol.30(3), 1987.
- Mittelbach, M., Tritthart, P., “Diesel Fuel Derived from Vegetable Oils, • .•Emission Tests Using Methyl Esters of Used Frying Oil”, JAOCS, Vol.65, No.7, 1988.
- Hemmerlein, N., Korte, V., Richter, H., Schroder, G., “Performance, Exhaust Emissions and Durability of Modern Diesel Engines Running on Rapeseed Oil”, SAE Paper 910848, 1991.
- Crookes, R. J., Nazha, M. A. A., Kiannejad, F., “Single and Multi Cylinder Diesel-Engine Tests with Vegetable Oil Emulsions”, SAE Paper 922230, 1992.
- Hamasaki, K., Tanaka, Y., Kurogi, F., “Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Small Diesel Engine with Emulsified Rapeseed Oil Fuels” Trans. of the JSME, Vol.59, No.548, 1992 (in Japanese).
- Last, R. J., Kruger M., Durnholz, M., “Emissions and Performance Characteristics of a 4-Stroke, Direct Injected Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel”, SAE Paper 950054, 1995.
- McDonald, J. F., Purcell, D. L., McClure, B. T., Kittelson, D. B., “Emissions Characteristics of Soy Methyl Ester Fuels in an IDI Compression Ignition Engine”, SAE Paper 950400, 1995.
- Hohl, G. H., “Rape Oil Methyl Ester (RME) and Used Cooking Oil Methyl Ester (UOME) as Alternative Fuels”, SAE Paper 952755, 1995.
- Crookes, R. J., Kiannejad, F., Nazha, M. A. A., “Seed-oil bio-fuel of low Cetane Number: the effect of water emulsification on diesel-engine operation and emissions”, J. of the Institute of Energy, Vol.68, 1995.
- Masjuki, H., Abdulmuin, M. Z., Sii, H. S., “Emissions and Lube Oil Monitoring of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Palm Oil Methyl Esters and Its Emulsions”, SAE Paper 961083, 1996.
- Zhang, Y., Van Gerpen, J. H., “Combustion Analysis of Esters of Soybean Oil in a Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 962065, 1996.
- Montagne, X., “Introduction of Rapeseed Methyl Ester in Diesel Fuel - The French National Program”, SAE Paper 962065, 1996.
- Chang, D. Y.Z., Van Gerpen, J. H., Lee, I., Johnson, L. A., Hammond E. G., Marley, S. J., “Fuel Properties and Emissions of Soybean Oil Esters as Diesel Fuel”, JAOCS, Vol.73, No.11, 1996.
- Choi, C.Y., Bower, G. R., Reitz, R. D., “Effects of Biodiesel Blended Fuels and Multiple Injections on D.I. Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 970218, 1997.
- Chang, D. Y.Z., Van Gerpen, J. H., “Fuel Properties and Engine Performance for Biodiesel Prepared from Modified Feedstocks”, SAE Paper 971684, 1997.
- Akasaka, Y., Suzuki, T., Sakurai, Y., “Exhaust Emisions of a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel”, SAE Paper972998, 1997.
- Ferrone, C. W., “The Practical Implementation of Biodiesel as an Alternate Fuel for In-Service Motorcoaches”, SAE Paper 973201, 1997.
- Chang, D. Y., Van Gerpen, J. H., “Determination of Particulate and Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions from Diesel Engines Fueled with Biodiesel”, SAE Paper 982527, 1998.
- Niemi, S. A., et al., “Results from a Durability Test of a Mustard Seed Oil Driven Tractor Engine”, SAE Paper 982528, 1998.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Onodera, M., Tamaki, H., “Reduction of NOx, Smoke, and BSFC in a Diesel Engine Fueled by Biodiesel Emulsion with Used Frying Oil”, SAE Paper 1999-01-3598, 1999.
- Hamasaki, K., Ohsako, T., Kinoshita, E., Takasaki, K., “Effects of Rapeseed Oil Fuel Properties on Exhaust Emissions of a Swirl-Chamber Diesel Engine”, Trans. of the JSME, Vol.65, No.631, 1999 (in Japanese).
- Morimune, T., Yamaguchi, H., Konishi K., “Exhaust Emissions and Performance of Diesel Engine Operating on Waste Food-Oil”, Trans. of the JSME, Vol.66, No.641, 2000 (in Japanese).
- Yoshimoto, Y., Tamaki, H., “Reduction of NOx and Smoke Emissions in a Diesel Engine Fueled by Biodiesel Emulsion Combined with EGR”, SAE Paper 2001-01-0649, 2001.
- Murayama, T., Tsukahara, M., Morishima, Y., Miyamoto, N., “Experimental Reduction of NOx, Smoke, and BSFC in a Diesel Engine Using Uniquely Produced Water (0-80%) to Fuel Emulsion”, SAE Paper 780224, 1978.
- Tsukahara, M., Murayama, T., Yoshimoto, Y., “Influence of Fuel Properties on the Combustion in Diesel Engine Driven by the Emulsified Fuels”, Bulletin of the JSME, 25-202, 1982.
- Tsukahara, M., Yoshimoto, Y., Murayama, T., “W/O Emulsion Realizes Low Smoke and Efficient Operation of DI Engines without High Pressure Injection”, SAE Paper 890449, 1989.
- Tsukahara, M., Yoshimoto, Y., Murayama, T., “Influence of Emulsified Fuel Properties on the Reduction of BSFC in Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 891841, 1989.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Tsukahara, M., Kuramoto, T., “Improvement of BSFC by Reducing Diesel Engine Cooling Losses with Emulsified Fuel”, SAE Paper 962022, 1996.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Tsukahara, M., Li, Z., Sano, H., “NOx Reduction with EGR in a Diesel Engine Using Emulsified Fuel”, SAE Paper 982490, 1998.