This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study and Development of Lean Burn Systems on Small 4-Stroke Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the recent years, considerable efforts have been devoted towards improving the performance and emissions of small 4 stroke spark ignition engines by lean burn combustion techniques. However, there are certain drawbacks associated with the lean burn engines which are, large cyclic variations, long combustion duration, unreliable ignition of the mixture in some cycles.
An experimental investigation has been carried out on a 150 cc air cooled four stroke gasoline engine to improve the lean burning limits by overcoming the difficulties associated. The following strategies have been considered for the study.
- 1Use of catalytic materials in the combustion chamber to accelerate combustion.
- 2Pre-chamber with catalytic activation.
- 3Optimization of compression ratio and valve timing to improve flame propagation.
- 4By using an ignition system with high-energy spark discharge and increased spark duration, to help ignite the lean mixture.
- 5Combustion chamber optimization.
Basic engine performance data viz, Torque, Power, BSFC, Emissions, Combustion pressure,etc,.have been collected on the test engines with necessary modifications and analysed.
CitationSwamy, K., Harne, V., Gunjegaonkar, D., and Gopalkrishnan, K., "Study and Development of Lean Burn Systems on Small 4-Stroke Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1801, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1801.
- Yagi, S. Fujii, I. Nishikawa, M. Shirai, H. ‘A Newly -Developed 1.5L CVCC Engine for Some 1980 Models’ SAE Paper 800321 1980
- ‘Chrysler's Electronic Lean- Burn Engine’ Machine Design 27 17 24 26 July 10 1975
- Noguchi, M. Sanda, S. Nakamura, N. ‘Development of Toyota Lean Burn Engine’ SAE Paper 760757
- Beyerlein Steven W. Wojcicki Stanislaw ‘A Lean -Burn Catalytic Engine’ SAE 880574 Detroit 1988
- Cetegen, B. Teichman, K.Y. Weinberg, F.J. Oppenheim, A.K. “Performance of a Plasma Jet Igniter” SAE Paper 800042 1980
- Oppenheim, A.K. Beltramo, J. Faris, D.W. Maxson, J.A. Hom, K. Stewart, H.E. “Combustion by Pulsed Jet Plumes-Key to Controlled Combustion” SAE Paper 890153 1989
- Murase, E. Ono, S. Handa, K. Oppenheim, A.K. “Pulsed Combustion Jet Ignition in Lean mixtures” SAE Paper 942048 1994
- Edwards, S.P. Grove, D.M. Wynn, H.P. “Staistics for Engine Optimisation” Professional Engineering Publishing Limited London,U.K. 2000
- Gruden Dusan O. “Combustion chamber Layout for Modern Otto Engines” SAE Paper No. 811231 1981