This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
AIR COOLING SYSTEM FOR SMALL INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE EXPERIMENTAL ANALYSIS.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work we illustrate a data acquisition system realization and set up for the experimental description of an air cooling system for a four stroke, one - cylinder engine used on scooters.
The high importance of the power absorbed by cooling system at medium and high rotational speeds is the first reason of this investigation, our target is to point out possible increasing in the forced ventilation cooling system performances.
First of all, in order to foresee the magnitude order of the measured variables, we developed a theoretical one-dimensional description of the centrifugal blower, with this approach we can forecast, even if in an approximated way, the measured variables magnitude order.
Obviously, in order to realize the blower and flow experimental characterization, it was necessary the choice of the right test rig. Through the experimental data analysis we had interesting informations on blower real running conditions and on cooling air flow behaviour inside the cowling, which directs the air coming from the blower around the main engine parts.
This cooling system preliminary characterization is made with the help of an electric brake joined with the engine axis. So we could evaluate the cooling system behaviour, in particular the efficiency, in various engine load conditions and have the necessary data for the second fluid dynamic numerical analysis of cooling system.
|Technical Paper||EUROPEAN AND AMERICAN AUTOMOBILE PRACTICE COMPARED|
|Technical Paper||Integrated Cooling Systems for Passenger Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Test Method for Evaluating Gear Fatigue Life of 4-Stroke Motorcycle Engine Oils|
- L. Arnone - Piaggio & C. S.p.A.
- M. Marcacci - Piaggio & C. S.p.A.
- G. Toderi - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Industriale, Università degli Studi di Parma
- B. Facchini - Dipartimento di Energetica “S. Stecco”, Università di Firenze.
- G. Migliorini - Dipartimento di Energetica “S. Stecco”, Università di Firenze.
- A. Vacca - Dipartimento di Energetica “S. Stecco”, Università di Firenze.
CitationFacchini, B., Migliorini, G., Vacca, A., Toderi, G. et al., "AIR COOLING SYSTEM FOR SMALL INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE EXPERIMENTAL ANALYSIS.," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1791, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1791.
- Chang, X. Chiang, E.C. Johnson, J.H. 1991 “The Dimensionless Correlation of Airflow for Vehicle Engine Cooling Systems” SAE Paper 910643
- Chang, X. Chiang, E.C. Johnson, J.H. 1991 “The Theoretical Development of Vehicle Engine Cooling Airflow Models Using Incompressible Flow Methods” SAE Paper 910644
- Chiang, E.C. Huang, G.P.C. Chang, X. Johnson, J.H. 1990 “A One-Dimensional Transient Compressible Flow Model for Cooling Airflow Rate Computation” SAE Paper 900721
- China H. Oh no K. Rachi M.K. “Influence of airway structures on engine fan noise” SAE Technical Paper series 910618
- Costelli,. A. Gabriele, P. Giordanengo, D. 1980 “Experimental Analysis of the Air Circuit for Engine Cooling Systems” SAE Paper 800033
- Ferrari, G. 1995 “Motori a Combustione Interna” Il Capitello, Torino
- Ferguson, T., B. “The Centrifugal Compressor Stage” 1963 Butterworths, Londra
- Hochkonig, M. Rauser, M. 1992 “Cooling System Layout for High Performance Cars” SAE Paper 920789
- Hoshino, T. Yoshino, R Takada, H. 1981 “Improvement of Engine Cooling Performance by Cooling Airflow Visualization” SAE Paper 811392
- Mackerle, J. 1961 “Air Cooled Motor Engines” Cleaver Hume Press LTD. London
- Mandas, N. Puddu, P. 2001
- Mozzi G.M. Bari 1965
- Olson, M.E. 1976 “Aerodynamic Effects of Front End Design on Automobile Engine Cooling Systems” SAE Paper 760188
- Olson, M.E. Schaub, U.W. 1992 “Aerodynamics of Trucks in Wind Tunnels: The Importance of Replicating Model Form, Model Detail, Cooling System and Test Conditions” SAE Paper 920345
- Rodgers, C. 2000 “EFFECTS OF BLADE NUMBER ON THE EFFICIENCY OF CENTRIFUGAL COMPRESSOR IMPELLERS.” TURBO EXPO 2000 Munich, Germany May 8-11 ASME Paper 2000-GT-0455
- Takahashi, H. Ogino, S. Nishimura, T. Okuno, Y 1992 “Experimental Analysis for the Improvement of Radiator Cooling Air Intake and Discharge” SAE Paper 920787
- Vesnagh, A. Moffatt, R. 1992 “Computer Aided Analysis of Heat Flows in Vehicle Cooling Systems” SAE Paper 920010