This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Critical Heat Flux and Boiling Heat Transfer to Water in a 3-mm-Diameter Horizontal Tube
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Boiling of the coolant in an engine, by design or by circumstance, is limited by the critical heat flux phenomenon. As a first step in providing relevant engine design information, this study experimentally addressed both rate of boiling heat transfer and conditions at the critical point of water in a horizontal tube of 2.98-mm inside diameter and 0.9144-m heated length. Experiments were performed at a system pressure of 203 kPa, mass fluxes of 50-200 kg/m2s, and inlet temperatures from ambient to 80°C. Experimental results and comparisons with predictive correlations are presented.
- David M. France - Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Wenhua Yu - Energy Technology Division, Argonne National Laboratory
- Martin W. Wambsganss - Energy Technology Division, Argonne National Laboratory
- John R. Hull - Energy Technology Division, Argonne National Laboratory
CitationYu, W., Wambsganss, M., Hull, J., and France, D., "Critical Heat Flux and Boiling Heat Transfer to Water in a 3-mm-Diameter Horizontal Tube," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1768, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1768.
- Wambsganss M. W. “Thermal Management in Heavy Vehicles: a Review Identifying Issues and Research Requirements,” IMechE Paper No. C543/086 1999
- Pretscher M. Ap N. S. “Nucleate Boiling Engine Cooling System - Vehicle Study,” SAE Paper No. 931132 1993
- Gentile D. Zidat S. “Influential Parameters in a Boiling Cooling System,” Heat and Technology 11 1-2 1993
- Campbell N. A. F. Tilley D. G. MacGregor S. A. Wong L. “Incorporating Nucleate Boiling in a Precision Cooling Strategy for Combustion Engines,” SAE Paper No. 971791 1997
- Robinson K. Campbell N. A. F. Hawley J. G. Tilley D. G. “A Review of Precision Engine Cooling,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0578 1999
- Petukhov B. S. “Heat Transfer and Friction in Turbulent Pipe Flow with Variable Physical Properties,” Advances in Heat Transfer 6 New York Academic Press 1970
- Moffat R. J. “Describing the Uncertainties in Experimental Results,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 1 1988
- Chen J. C. “A Correlation for Boiling Heat Transfer to Saturated Fluids in Convective Flow,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Process Design and Development 5 3 1966
- Tran T. N. Wambsganss M. W. France D. M. “Small Circular- and Rectangular-Channel Boiling with Two Refrigerants,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 22 3 1996
- Forster H. K. Zuber N. “Dynamics of Vapor Bubbles and Boiling Heat Transfer,” AIChE Journal 1 4 1955
- Collier J. G. Thome J. R. “Convective Boiling and Condensation,” third Oxford University Press 1994
- Groeneveld D. C. Cheng S. C. Doan T. “1986 AECL-UO Critical Heat Flux Lookup Table,” Heat Transfer Engineering 7 1-2 1986
- Wong Y. L. Groeneveld D. C. Cheng S. C. “CHF Prediction for Horizontal Tubes,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 16 1 1990