This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Method for Predicting and Optimizing the Strength of Extruded Multi-Void Aluminum Heat Exchanger Tube
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The mechanical response to internal pressure in extruded multi-void tube is investigated for three profiles using AA1050 alloy. Hydrostatic pressure data and changes in internal tube geometry are used to determine the effective stress in internal tube walls to instability (failure). True stress and strain data for internal walls in the tube are established and a model is proposed to predict the material response and pressure at failure. These data are compared to bulk material data from tensile testing. Differences in material response are attributed to stress state and size effects, and these mechanisms are reviewed. Process-structure-property relationships of extruded aluminum heat exchanger tube are also reviewed for brazed assemblies in light of the influence on size effects.
CitationKraft, F., "Method for Predicting and Optimizing the Strength of Extruded Multi-Void Aluminum Heat Exchanger Tube," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1737, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1737.
- Kraft F.F. McCarbery H.R. Noveskey J.C. “Metallurgical Aspects of Extruded and Brazed Materials” Proceedings of the 1999 International Invitational Aluminum Brazing Seminar October 26-28 1999 Dearborn, MI Therm Alliance Wixom, MI
- Guzowski M.M. Kraft F.F. McCarbery H.R. Noveskey J.C. “Alloy and Process Effects on Brazed Automotive Condenser Tubing” Proceedings of The Vehicle Thermal Management Systems (VTMS 4) Conference 24-27 May 1999 London, United Kingdom
- Hilty R.D. “Size Effects on the Mechanical Properties of Light Gage Electronic Alloys” Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy, NY August 1993 12 18
- Kraft F.F. McCarbery H.R. “True Stress - True Strain Behavior of Post Braze AA3102 and AA1050 MMP Condenser Tube” 1 May 2000
- Hosford W.F. Caddell R.M. “Metal Forming Mechanics and Metallurgy” PTR Prentice Hall Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1993 59
- Dieter G.E. “Mechanical Metallurgy” Third McGraw-Hill Book Company New York 1986 185 190
- Miyazaki S. Shibata K. Fujita H. “Effect of Specimen Thickness on Mechanical Properties of Polycrystalline Aggregates with Various Grain Sizes” Acta Metallurgica 1979 27 855 862
- Miyazaki S. Fujita H. “Effects of Grain Size and Specimen Thickness on Mechanical Properties of Polycrystalline Copper and Copper-Aluminum Alloy” Trans. JIM 1978 19 438 444
- Miyazaki S. Fujita H. Hiraoka H. “Effects of Specimen Size on the Flow Stress of Rod Specimens of Polycrystalline Cu-Al Alloy” Scripta Metallurgica 1979 13 447 449